live plants lighting

35 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'd think that the sharper edges are slightly better for plant roots than rounded, but if you have fish like burrowing eels, fresh water flounder(halabit), and dojo loaches they prefer the rounded gravel because it doesn't cut them like the crushed stuff.

I've grown plants in the rounded med to small particle sized gravel with no problems.

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

k, so are corydoras a good choice to clean the ground with?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

They don't really -clean- it so much as they do stir up all the sh*t laying on the bottom so it can be more easily sucked up by the filter. There isn't much out there that will do that better than a small shoal of 6, or more corys. They've helped me a ton in my 30gal as there isn't much room to gravel vac (its 26" tall) and I can't pull up all my plants just to get to the built-up areas of sh*t.

I originally had 3 Striped Raphael cats for this purpose, before I learned they grew to 6" unlike petsmart's quote of 4". They didn't do nearly enough stirring up tbh, anyway. Even by night as they're noctournal.

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

So they sound good, lol and I was looking at some snail that aparently goes into the gravel and cleans the crap up...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Malaysian trumpet snails are good at doing what I mentioned a couple threads down...stirring the substrate so you don't develop sulfur pockets like the problem I'm having. They'll also hopefully keep your sand from getting compacted so oxygen and other necessities can get to your plant roots.

Just image google em. My first batch hitchiked on a piece of driftwood I bought with java moss attatched. I had hundreds in my 16gal for awhile, I think the population has leveled off as I fed less and less.

I actually stirred some more bubbles out today. Smells freaking awful when they pop at the surface. I still have yet to lose any fish thank goodness..

zootycoonmaster

by zootycoonmaster

No living creature eats fish crap...all they do is add to the crap load.

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

i c, well I heard there are snails that turn it onto fertilizer... maybe not true but whatever...

zambize

by zambize

I have had Cory for a while and I like them a lot. They are one reason I have sand...their barbels are sensitive to substrate and shouldn't be kept with something sharp like crushed coral. Large size substrate is bad too because their food falls between the large pieces and they can't reach it very well. The Cory are good at eating left over food and some algae. They are darned cute too, and lots of fun to watch. Remember that they are air-breathers and need to surface for air.

There are some living creatures that process fish poop. I've read that some shrimp do and I think snails filter it out through the way they naturally eat. I was just looking into Amano Shrimp and I read that they will eat fish poop. I think what people hear sometimes is that no fish/invert processes fish poop so efficiently that it could replace using a filter or weekly water changes.

Zambize

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

Ya I have looked at pictures of them, they are preety cool, I just want a brown/tan coloured sand, but I havent even seen corydoras at th store yet, so I will have to wait... and I still have to get my new light, and then sand...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I like the sand and gravel that aquarium stores sell that's covered with polyurithane or something. I origonally thought it was too processed as I'm into the more natural stuff, but It looks really natural with actual rounded and sifted peices, so it's a nice consistancy.

live plants lighting

35 posts • Page 3 of 4