Hydrogen Sulfide, and Ferts with Shrimp...

20 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Discovered something that may have been the demise of several of my other fish. I was giving my 30 gallon a heavy thinning/cleaning yesterday and bumped the ''branch'' I have buried in the flourite sand at the middle of the tank, when some quarter-sized bubbles rose from under it, floated to the surface, poppped and smelled like sulfur/rotten eggs...

I introduced MTS to this tank some time ago but they don't seem to be stirring the sand enough, or aren't reproducing enough..or something (possibly my raphael - who's going to catch the blame for everything now- lol) might be eating them..

I just got a set of 4 corys, and am having nightmares about them grazing around and popping a bubble out right in their face. -.- or one rising into the filter intake and getting popped out in thousands of micro bubbles.

Any ideas on getting the MTS pop to explode (without overfeeding as I have tons of algae), or a way to efficiently stir my substrate when half my decor is below the surface of the sand...?

Also, Anyone a proud owner of a 'herd' of shrimp who uses any kind of plant ferts, as per recommended dosage? I think most forms of ferts carry micro amounts of copper...wondering if anyone has had casualties associated with using ferts.

I started using ferts in my 16 gal and a few weeks later the remaining shrimp I had died. Could've been from old age, they had been adult for some time.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I don't know about the ferts, but maybe the snails only go down an inch or so and the fermentation or whatever is deeper.

I think there's period when the roots are not established all the way to the bottom where there can be fermentation, or anerobic bacterial growth.

I don't know for sure what you should do. I would probably do a really good gravel cleaning, water change, and just replant the plants and decor.

As for ferts being toxic all I know is that Mirical-Grow fertiliser is toxic to fish. The aquarium types should be good on fish and shrimp unless the lable says it's not.

If you find out otherwise let me know as I'm needing another bottle of fert and a bottle of Excell too.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Some of my plants are in a pretty fragile state, a couple of which I can't even name. lol Replanting them would probably mark their demise, so I guess I'll have to stick with a healthy finger-rake. That is until my amano shrimp rid these plants of algae so they can start growing healthy -.-

This one for example: (it was brand new in this picture)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29841459@N03/2790954894/
On that note any plant experts feel free to chime in and tell me what the heck this is. =P

You could be right about the MTS, or maybe I'm just not waiting long enough for their population to get established. I still think the raphael cat might be sucking them up in the night or something. I dunno.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

looks like canubis.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

cainbus??......T83 i didnt know you got down with the hydro..... let me know when it is harvest time
:)

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

It seems I'm unable to come up with a response that wouldn't be taken the wrong way. Let's just say I got off that road about 6 years ago...lol

For a moment I thought jweb was giving me a serious latin name or something. lol

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Some plants grown under water are not true aquatic plants. Many need co2 I believe to grow well. More light?

If you like red plants you may want to try Lotus. It has both nice reddish leaves that grow like a plant 4-6 inches high and also sends up lilly pads. It's pretty cool and I don't think it needs too much light.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Oh. I use Aquarium Phamacudicals and I have Ghost shrimp. I think I was also using another type in a flask shaped yellow bottle and there was one day that 2 shrip died for an unknown reason, but other than that I've had no problems.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Is that a bulb plant pete? The lotus?

Think I saw some bulbs at the place I got my shrimp from. I was going to ask the staff but they're kind've snippy. I guess a bit like the guys over at plantgeeks. lol

They have a selection of emersed and immersed plants. The section I bought the plant in above picture from was immersed. They label what they sell randomly in different colored dry-erase markers on the fronts of the tanks. This is why I just kind've pointed and got the plant never knowing the name of it...lol

I know it needs high light, and a lot of iron to develop the red --from ferts. The underside of the leaves are showing a lot but not so much on the top. And the leaves are developing differently since its re-established itself. I'm sure Co2 would help as well but I'm not quite ready for that adventure yet. The part that scares me is bubble counting.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

you kknow now that i got my co2 up and running it is not as intimadating as it used to be.... it is really super simple....

20 posts • Page 1 of 2