Planted tank filter, underwater or internal?

20 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

I have a power filter at the moment but it is really loud and it's in my room so sleepign with it is a pain in the but, I am looking at either and underwater filter, or an internal filter, I want the one which is queit, and does best for a planted tank. Sorry I cant afford a canister filter...

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel 200 (200 gph) external filter is quiet, it sounds like a stream. Very nice. I have 2 of these filters (400 gph).

In the box, you can have a filter with charcoal also it has enough room to add aqua chargers (helps to keep the nitrite and ammonia to stay at 0) or whatever other filter media you desire.

I bought mine at Dr Fosters & Smith for about $25.00 each plus s/h. which runs for $9.99 or so. But I am sure you can pick one up at a pet store too.

The above-named external filter runs very quiet. It sounds like a stream, and the bio-wheel keeps good bacteria forever (unless the wheel stops turning, and if it does, it means you just rinse it off and it is good to go...the good thing about bio-wheels is that, it retains all the good bacteria regardless if you replace or rinse the filterpads).

This is my recommendation unless someone on this web site comes up with something better...and there are a lot of smart fish keepers on this web site, so you will probably get some good responses. But for now, this is what I would recommend.

Look into this filter system online, do some research. Take in other suggestions from various members, then go for it.

I had an external filter from All Glass Aquarium (which came with the aquarium), and it ran to loud that I chucked it into the trash can. So I completely understand your predicament. I decided to go with this external filter from Marineland Penguin, and it is awesome. Very quiet, efficient, and the cleaning of it is very easy.

hope this helps

gumbii

by gumbii

how many galons is the tank...?

and i say you should get some canisters...

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

mike said he can't afford a canister which runs around $80 a piece; whereas a good external filter like the Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel 200 runs about $25

of course canisters are by the best outisde of wet-dry which are the best; but an external filter like the one I mentioned, is best he can get at a low price yet do the job very well...and very quiet

gumbii

by gumbii

oic...

go to the petsmart web site and pick out a filter... get the penguin 350 you get the biggest deal there... print out thier webpage with the filter and make sure it has the price on it...

go to petsmart and they have to give you thier online price... they have to... if they don't want to talk to the manager and tell him to do it... you'll save a grip of cash.. i think online they are 26 bucks or something... or i think you end up paying 32 bucks after tax on a 350... pretty cool...

seanh339

by seanh339

i have a whisper 60 ad a penguin 200 with a bio filter and they are extremely quiet

seankh

by seankh

I use 2 whisper 60s and a ugf and its quiet. All i hear is the water hitting the water

josmoloco

by josmoloco

AquaClear 70 is the way to go

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

quick question. is it the filter or is it the water level in your tank....usually if the filter is loud you need to clean your impeller

gumbii

by gumbii

well... all of my tanks make noise if the water level is low... the water starts to splash on the surface...

20 posts • Page 1 of 2