should you spray out spunge mechanical filter?

97 posts • Page 2 of 10

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That's a big pain with the salt issue.

I'm going to dissagree about vacuuming to the bottom. As far as I know much of the benneficial bacteria is growing on the surfaces of the gravel and when you siphon out all the gunk enough of them remain to quickly grow back to origonal levels. That gunk on the other hand can cause the bacteria to get overwealmed if not cleaned out well enough.

I say grow live plants and you'll have less hassles with water perameters.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

OK. Live plants is a subject for another topic. I've always tended to use about 4 inches of small sized gravel and a undergravel filter. If you grow the easy low light varieties this is a good set up. With high light varieties that need to have a higher concentration of nutrients in the substraight it's generally considered bad to use the undergravel filter because it allows the nutrients in the substraight to be introduced into the water which causes algae problems. It's also bad to sucktion deeply in this case too for the same reason.

With a powerhead it should be easy to make a canister filter. I agree.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

PK, on your RENA intake, what/where are/did you using/get the for a sponge? Lol Petsmart sells crap for sponges. I rigged some freaking media bags for a couple intakes but I'd rather use something dark and small on the rena intake. -.-

jweb1369

by jweb1369

what do you gys think of this DIY canister filter setup? Looks pretty good I think, almost like store bought haha.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've actually never bought a sponge filter. I get them out of aquarium store garbages and from a guy who unloaded thousands of dollars worth of aquarium supplies for $240.

The ones I use are cilyndrical and dark, almost black, in color and they come with a hole so it's easy to slip over an intake. I've also rigged block shaped sponge by cutting and ripping open a hole so that I could slip it over an intake, and I've found cylinders that are open all the way through and I've just tied a string around the open end so the sponge could work.

These sponges have holes about a mm wide and are commonly found as exter biological material in hob and canister filters. They're usually black, but sometimes white in color.

I'm surprised Petsmart doesn't sell these things. If you look inside canister filters there is usually a bunch of this inside.

Whatever shape you can find it can always be cut or modified.

Hope this helped.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

So you dumpster dive for them in the back of pet stores? haha

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yes. I go to strictly aquarium stores and look in their garbage. I've found perfectly good PC lights, large bags of unused charcoal, giant clam shells, dead coral for decor and water minerals, aquarium wood, all sorts of chemicals that maybe have been used once, and even whole tanks. Many aquarium stores service private home aquariums and end up with a bunch of used stuff they have not the room for, so they throw it away. That's where I come in.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Well that is illegal so be careful.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The employees at the stores in my area all know me and know I search their dumpsters so it's cool.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Oh that always helps. See I don't have any stores that just sell fish. So I would be searching for needles in a stack of junk, haha.

should you spray out spunge mechanical filter?

97 posts • Page 2 of 10