moving a tank and fish from ny to nc

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

jstcrusin

by jstcrusin

i have a 55 gallon tank with 2 balla sharks and 2 large koi angles 5 med size fish can't think of name now what would be the best way to transport them and have them live from ny to nc plan on taking a pickup truck.

thanks

gumbii

by gumbii

ice chest with battery operated air pumps...??? maybe running some sponge filters...??

i really don't know... but good luck and wait for more people to respond...

but remember... don't let the biological filtration of the tank die out... don't let it get too hot, cold or dry out...

GreenMandarin6731

by GreenMandarin6731

Don't know how far away of a drive it woud be especially with an aquarium in the back of your pick-up truck!?
might require a couple of trips depending on if you want to preserve the stature of your 55 gallon tank so it doesnt create any leaks later on from moving and havin to endure driving motions over a long period of time. if it was me id ask another friend with another pick-up truck to assist you in the moving drive, unless you do not have that much to move and you only require one trip without surrounding your tank with loose stuff or engulfed in stuff that can cause major damage and break or little damage that can create leaks later on. I would drive my turck with tank only! and have a friend carry your stuff inn his truck!. as far as your fish if you arent carrying passengers, get a big plastic container that can hold as much water as your seat arrangement can handle and add a battery operated air diffuser with a visible themometer so you can guage temp and adjust inside truck temperature using windows,heater/ac. from inside your ride and put all your fish in it wihtout worrying about fighting because theyll be to busy "stressing" from all the change of scenery and transfer theyll undergo... eventually theyll settle down and probably concentrate on their breeding and swim around some.. monitor them for a minute at a time so you can see how they are acting/interacting, make quick and safe stops to see what is happening so you dont swerve in the road or get pulled over for swerving and seeming under the influence! procrastinating arrival at your destination is not an option, the longer you take the more of a chance something will happen so get your self a nice cooler filled with good stuff to grub on as you drive!... save some water from your old set-up and put it in a sealed 5 gallon bucket or 2! the more the better up to 50% and just add treated water from tap or whatever you are using for your water source. as far as your subtrate goes, do you have ugf? remove it! leave subtrate in your tank spreaded evenly and moist enough without having water move around in there splashing and spilling out of your tank. DO not put tank straight into trunk... get some blankets... what i would do in your case for tank transfer.. i would get a plywood plank as big as it covers the inside of your trunk, add foam sheets in any arrangement as long at it cover the whole bottom of your tank! put blankets on top of all that and perhaps a plastic cover or tarp on top of your tank held by creasing it underneath the plywood plank and roping it from corner to corner from underneath so the whole thing in a X shape wont move much as long as you drive safely and take corners slowly even if u think you can go faster once you know the tank is holding, dont! better be safe then sorry! I think this is the best way. Undoing it and moving it in trunk and moving it by hands... once empty and ready to move dont set it on a plank to move it have plank in truck awaiting the tank, lift from further up the corner not corner to corner to prevent bowing at the middle as close away from you as possible without hitting your stomach on the side glass.
That is all.. i hope this will serve you well and it should if you do exaclty just that.. dont forget to post up when you arrive or what you've done to move your tank!?

gumbii

by gumbii

dude... paragraphs are all of our friends green mandarin...

i just can't read that... sorry...

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

i would put them in a container with a generated power airpump, like a cigarette lighter plug converter to voltage like a regular air pump and go from there. There is a machine that plugs into a cigarette lighter that allows you to plug in a 2 or 3 prong to it, so plug the air pump to there.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Use a medium-large cooler and dump tank water into it till its a little more than half full. Then put some substrate, plants, etc... whatever just nothing big that can injure the fish. Then dump the fish in there. That should act fine as an aquarium. I would probably just buy a cheap bubbler from walmart or something. Oh and I would put a couple of large size towels underneath the cooler before you depart =).

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I don't know the size of the fish, but if the fish are not too large, you can get an ice chest, fill it with foam pieces, place the fish in large dark plastic bags, fill each bag with pure oxygen, double bag each bag, rubber band each bag tight, place in the chest, seal the chest with tape, place the ice chest in a secure location of the vehicle, and hope that the drive from by to nc won't take more than 24 hours (less is preferable, like 15 hours or thereabouts).

Your fish will be stressed from the trip so don't get spooked that the fish are spooked. Place the fish in the tank, and observe each one very closely. In time the fish will adjust. I hope this helps.

seankh

by seankh

i moved my tank and fish from florida to virginia (bot 10 hour drive)with only 1 death. i used a cooler battery operated air pump that i made by splicing the wires of an old air pump and conecting it 2 3 9 volt batteries. but when i got 2 virginia i asked a lfs to keep them tell i set my tank up they charged my like 30 dollars for 4 days

GreenMandarin6731

by GreenMandarin6731

I dont understand what you mean about the paragraph i wrote, its too long? you say you dont have time to read it? at least think of it this way.. it would take you less time to read it then having Me letting you know the "Best Way" to move your tank and fish in a pick-up truck to wherever your going and however long it takes to get there guy with antact tank and safe healthy fish. baggin seperatly looks a good way to keep your fish but all together in a bigger water container would prevent any jurastic fluctuations in water temps. just read that "long" paragraph!

gumbii

by gumbii

um... i'm just saying that you have very poor grammar... coma's, periods, and sentence breaks are our friends... and it makes it alot easier for the rest of they to read they...

17 posts • Page 1 of 2