Lost Two Kiwinge's Eveyone Else is Fine

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Hunterzpa6356

by Hunterzpa6356

Recently I purchsed some new fish ( 4 pair - Borlyei, Strawberry Peacocks, Red Empresses and Kwinge) All were in the same size range and all came from the same store, different tanks of course. I got these less than 2 weeks ago - all the fish are doing fine except the Kiwinges that died on day apart - about 4 days ago they started swimming very close to the top of the water and their breathing was rapid compared to the other fish. From the time I put them in the tank they did not get bullied or messed with at all. The water is fine - amonia 0, ph 8.2, nitrates and nitrites 0, temp 80. I know the temp is a little high but I have always kept my cichlids at this temp. I called the store where I purhased them and they told me their Kiwinge tank was doing just fine and they had no issues. All the fish I purchsed were at least 4 to 5 inches in size - the male Kiwinge was about one ince longer than the female - prob 5 and 4 inches repsectively.

The folks at my lfs suggested a water change but that does not make sense to me since all my fish are doing fine and the levels are good - any insight would be appreciated.

faile486

by faile486

I would think that gasping at the top like that would indicate a lack of oxygen in the water? An airstone might have helped. Water change might have helped too, since it would improve aeration. Some fish have higher oxygen needs than others, and warmer water contains less oxygen. That's my best guess.

2 posts