Driftwood from a lake?

20 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

lol what kind of fish is on your profile picture... its cool! Ya I never really knew how hard it nwas to keep live plants, and expensive. :P but ya I guese since im pnly 14 and have had them for like 2 months now I will get used to it.

thanks...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I keep learning and making mistakes as time goes by. The fish is a Florida or Spotted gar and I've had great sucess with hardware store shoplights with "plant" bulbs growing "low light" plants. Then I got some really nice aquarium grow lights and the plants are growing worse. ??? Actually, I think I've come to the conclusion since I poped a thermometer in my new planted tank that the new lights were heating the tank too much, like to 96 degrees, and it was hurting plant growth. I fixed my cooling fan and the plants seem to be doing better. Temps are now around 85 degrees F.

If you want to grow plants I'd start with low light plants like Anubias, Java moss and fern, and even Amazon Sword. I used shop flourescents and it was cheap and the tanks were beautiful.

Click on my avatar to see more pics if you want. The plants I have are low light plants. These fish are never going to be let into the wild as they are restricted in many areas and can wipe out native populations and I have plans for a 300-500 gallon tank when they get bigger.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

I just bought a new light for my tank, its like really bright, i hope it does well with the plants. It is used for african cichlids and saltwater tanks, but says it promotes good algae and marine bacteria as well as ideal for planted tanks. guess we'll see. it was like the most expensive bulb there for like $20.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

What's the wattage of your lights jweb1369?

KK174

by KK174

like I would totaly get a tutu if you paid me quatro dollars. You got mad skill dude. LOVE YOU WALRUS!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Who's Walrus?

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

I recently found a nice stick at San Francisco ocean beach. The branch was dry and had chipping bark on it.

At home I removed as much bark as possible from the stick.
Sprayed it and rubbed it with bleach. Rinsed it afterward. Then I boiled it in water making sure all of its ends are submerged at some point. The water turned somewhat brownish yellow which mean its a good thing to boil it to get those substances out.

After that I put it at the bottom of my bathtub pressed by a dumbell. After 2 days it almost doesn't float. Seems to be working out fine.

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

The comment about the walrus was my sister... but would I be alright by not boiling it, it is too big to fit in a pot. I might just buy some from the store but its like 35 bucks for a medium sized one. But could I boil water in a whole bunch of pots and dump that boiling water into a big bucket???

faile486

by faile486

Target should have 16 quart stock pots, or even larger tamale pots for under $30. I got mine for $14, and I don't think it was on sale. Wal-mart might have cheaper ones too. The piece was to big to fit in there all at once, so I boiled different ends at a time.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I think Gumbii said that if you boil the wood and then drop it in ice water it will sink. Maybe you could pour boiling water on it for a while or something and then drop it in ice water?

Driftwood from a lake?

20 posts • Page 2 of 2