otto's

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

T*83 -

My only concern with having 3 is the impact it would have on my max number of fish allowable in the tank. I have "plans" for what I want in the tank and I'm assuming I'd have to reduce the planned type/number of fish because of the addition of 3 of the wee oto's. Correct? Are they very messy? I know they may need a supplement food if the algae isn't enough. But, if I reduce the light to 8 hours a day, will this algae continue to grow? I'd hate to get a few of them and then find that I have little algae after changing the amount of light.

Thanks,
Z

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

well they max out at 2 in i think they dont get to big and they are not messy. If you are keep up on your water changes i dont think 3 little ottos will do much harm and if you were going to do 2 what is one more you know. and if they do keep up with the algae then you dont have to reduce your light.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I got 3 oto's today because I need to attack this algae *now* and can't wait. I am cleaning it by hand in my smaller tanks but I don't want to do that with my bigger tank. I got three of them because I'm fairly convinced that they will be happier as a trio. Although, one of them isn't behaving right....not sure if he's going to die. If he starts looking really rough then I have some stuff to humanely euthanize him with. :(

It was a big day for aquatics for me. :) It has been hard to find oto's, Cardinal Tetras, and a male African Dwarf Frog -- things I've been looking for. I found all of them today. Woohoo!

Z

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Grats on the finds. :)

As I mentioned earlier Otos often show up to the LFS in rough condition...and taking them home is sometimes just the last straw. You probably just saved him from serving out his ''term'' in that ''holding pen'' anyway. Dont' be surprised if he doesn't make it.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

T -

I feel the same way about the "term". I've already rescued several aquatic beings knowing they were dying, but wanting them to die in peace or to come home and be humanely euthanized. The last was a tiny frog who had a broken leg, and I know that these frogs die when they have a broken leg. I watched him for a while, he had no hiding places (and these frogs really need them), he couldn't swim and his tank was way too deep making it hard to get to the top to breathe so he was about to drown, and since he couldn't swim well and there were no plants, he was just tumbling around in the current from the filter and from the dither fish (of all things) that were in his tank. I was furious, gave the dimwit responsible a HUGE piece of my mind and told him to bag up the frog. The frog died the next day, but he was calm and not bothered. And was hanging out in some lovely plants, nice and safe.

Z

zambize

by zambize

T -

That sick acting oto is alive and kicking today. I don't get it. Yesterday he was lifeless in the bag, nearly upside down, barely responsive to touch, and today he is merrily eating algae from all over the tank. I suppose he could still die, but he looked like he was already climbing in the coffin. Could he have just been starving? They had nothing for him to eat in his cage at the pet store. I dunno....I'm oto stupid.

Zambize

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Yup, two of my three oto's died. And they're so darned cute. :|

Z

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

all three of mine are doing great

otto's

18 posts • Page 2 of 2