Well I finally did it,got 2 new members for the happy family

28 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Well some aren't too happy with the 2 new members in the tank.

I finally got a pair of oscars, one albino and the other tiger. They love the 30 gallon tank, no snails whatsoever, graduated from cichlid pellets and have moved on to their favorites, fish!

The lightening was a little off so pic might be a little hazy, but I caught the oscars getting them about a 3 a.m. snack. The albino has a guppy, and the tiger has a platy. I at first and still feel a little sorry for them, but the platies and guppies did the same thing to the other little platies, guppies and mollies that were only about a month or so old just because they were bigger. Now the happy little fellas are on the run and constantly dodging the 2 oscars. The tank is almost clear of orange fish now, do oscars and cichlids or oscars and loaches get along well?

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/friendemail.php/20392

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/friendemail.php/20393

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

are you going to mo them to the bigger tank eventully?

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Hope not. Surely the 2 oscars can handle the 30 gallon. If they do get too big, might have to get a 55. I wouldn't have a single fish left in the 125 if I put them in there.

miami754

by miami754

Those oscars will outgrow that 30 gallon in no time. Even a 55 is small for two full grown oscars. I would definitely anticipate getting a bigger tank for them in the near future.

Oh and just for your personal knowledge - oscars actually are cichlids.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

you didnt research them to well now did ya? oscars can get up to 18" far to large for you 30 gal or a 55 gal

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I had a weird dream about huge fish tanks last night! There was like this old aisian guy with grey hair and he had these tanks that were like 3 feet wide and 6-7 feet long. That's what I'm gona need for my fish pretty soon.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I know oscars are cichlids, but do they get along with the cichlids that do not get as big as they do, like will they try to eat other cichlids because they are bigger than them?

miami754

by miami754

What kind of other cichlids are you talking about - mbunas, haps, peacocks, south american, central american, specific species.

In general the answer is no. They cannot be mixed with Africans because they require very different water parameters. Plus, it is not good for Africans to eat a great deal of meaty foods. It will be impossible for you to prevent them from doing so, however, because oscars do need meaty foods and they are very messy eaters. Not only that, but in general the oscar will eat anything that is too small and if the African is too big, they are much faster and more agile and will probably kill your oscar. I have heard of numerous people who attempted this and the Africans tormented the oscars.

If I were you, I would concentrate on just the oscars. They literally need 60-70 gallons per fish so I don't see a point of putting them with anything unless you are willing to purchase a MUCH bigger tank.

Anyway, that is my opinion and what I have heard from research. I have never personally mixed the two because I do not believe it is fair to the fish to mix species that have such very different water requirements, but maybe someone on here has tried it and can give you a personal report.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I want 1 red if not yellow parrot cichlid. Their pH is 6.5-7.0, which my tank is already in that range and it says that they are peaceful so was wondering about the oscars with them?

miami754

by miami754

No, I don't think that will work at all. The parrot is not very aggressive and stays relatively small (when compared to an oscar). The oscar is aggressive (relative to the parrot cichlid) and big. I have a feeling the parrot would soon become a snack.

I read around on some forums to see if my hunch was correct and it seems it is. This mix is not generally a good one. There were several people who were able to do it if they were both the same size, but when the oscar started to outgrow the parrot - bye, bye parrot.

28 posts • Page 1 of 3