Nitrite Problem - Need Help!

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

faile486

by faile486

Two days ago, my fish caught ick - I checked my water parameters, and they were all fine. I'm not sure what brought it on, as they'd all been in the tank for a bit, and all seemed to be getting along.

I raised the temp to 80 and bought some medication that turns tank decorations greenish blue. Before adding the medication I did a water change - I meant for it to be 20% or so, but it ended up being more like 40% (first time I'd used the Python clean-n-fill).

The medication says that any active carbon needs to be removed from the tank, so I took out my filter cartridge. There was still a sponge in the filter, but today when I checked it the nitrites were at 1.5 mg/l! Ammonia is still at 0.

The fish had been acting fine since getting ick - no strage behavior from any of the neons. The pleco had been 'charging' the surface and coming straight back down a couple times a day. None of them seemed to be struggling though. Now the pleco is just hiding, doesn't seem to be moving/eating much. The tetras ate earlier today, but now they're against the side of the tank swimming up and down? Seeing them do that was why I tested the water again.

I've re-added the filter cartridge for now, but I don't know what to do - I could add Prime, but that's not really a long term solution. Both the nitrites and the Ick need to be dealt with but the solutions for each seem to be mutually exclusive!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've kept the charcoal in and added extra ick med, like some in the morn and some in the eve, and I've never had a problem. I know this is sketchy advice so please use your own concience.

Maybe you are removing the entire bio surfaces for nitrificating bacteria as you're removing the cartrige. In that case I'd try removing the charcoal from it and keep the mesh/sponge part in the filter.

faile486

by faile486

Hm - well, I've only been doing a half dose, since there are tetras in there. That's what the instructions say. They haven't seemed to be affected by it, so maybe a half dose every 12 hours rather than ever 24?

Removing the carbon wouldn't be bad either, good idea! Just hope I didn't ruin it by leaving it out for two days now.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yea. I'd wait for some other comments before adding more med unless you promise not to get pissed at me if somthing goes wrong. I'd definately do the pad without the carbon and raise the temp a bit. T has added some great info on ick in a recent post you could read.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Just to be clear. I'm thinking that since you removed the biological filter that returning that should be the only thing you should do (without carbon). Wouldn't want the tetras to die, even though I never had problems with a full dose of med with tetras.

littlej2455

by littlej2455

I would raise the temp to around 82. When I had my fresh water tank, I always kept the temp at 79-80,. Keeping the temperature at a higher will keep your fish from becoming sick. Do you have another tank to put the fish that is infected with ick in? It is always easier to mess with only that one fish that is effective and then leave the rest of the fish in the main tank. Tell us how that works,

faile486

by faile486

I don't have another tank that's set up and cycled. Almost all of them seem to have it anyway. I guess I could try raising the temp up a little more.

faile486

by faile486

The sponge that stayed in there should have been helping with biological filtration more than the carbon cartridge, thought right? Even if the cartridge has a mesh/sponge exterior?

faile486

by faile486

Most of the Ick spots seem to be gone this morning - only a couple fish have one or two left. Should I continue treatment for 2-4 days after the last spot has disappeared?

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yes

14 posts • Page 1 of 2