How can I remove scratches on a tank?

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

My sister gave me her 30 gallon setup a couple months ago. It was fairly nasty and took a lot of work getting it cleaned up. When I was done I realized that the inside was covered in scratches, so much it was hard to see in. It looked a little better with water, but in the end I ended up buying a new tank (was still worth the trouble because she gave me all the stuff and a stand). The scratched one is sitting empty and I don't want to toss it. Is there any way to fix it, to remove all the scratches, or at least the worst ones? I know you can with acrylic, but can you with glass? If I can, I want to set it up as spare tank for babies, holding females, etc. which ever happens.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Cathy

faile486

by faile486

I don't know how you'd remove the scratches, but in a breeder/hospital tank, if they aren't sharp enough to harm the fish, and don't pose a risk to tank structure, you don't necessarily HAVE to see in. I've got one as well that's pretty scratched, but since it's a breeder/hospital tank I don't really care what it looks like ^^;

jweb1369

by jweb1369

well then u gotta buy more filters and such to set up other tank, hahaha. anyways if u want to fix scratches im sure that there is some kind of glass polish or what not that will go over the glass and u have to rub it in for a while. check home depot, lowes, wal-mart.

the glass polish will fill in scratches.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Would the glass polish be toxic on the inside? Its the inside that is so scratched up. I don't know what she used to clean the algae when she had it, but made a mess of it.

Thanks

jweb1369

by jweb1369

it should be safe if you let it dry for a while. the videos the have of it are of outside windows on buildings. So if you think of it raining and what not, it should be safe if allowed to dry for a week or so.

faile486

by faile486

I think he's asking about toxicity, not water tightness. A lot of things are toxic to fish - silicon with mold preventatives, for example.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

yea but if it is allowed to dry and wash off shouldnt it be fine?

littlej2455

by littlej2455

usually with chemicals such as glass cleaner and bleach, you should be alright if you dont smell the product anymore. Just keep on rinsing it out until you dont smell it any more.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Are both sides scratched? I turn my tanks around if one side is scratched and make it the back,

dizzcat

by dizzcat

There is scratches on all sides. The back is actually the worst. Most of the scratches are on the inside of the tank and a glass clearer will not do the trick :-(

15 posts • Page 1 of 2