Photos of actual underwater environments?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Does anybody know any site where photos of real underwater habitats can be seen , maybe according to fish's geographic origin. I read about how there is a tank decorative style that is made to look how it is in the wild, so it would be nice to see it.

For example I may consider making a natural habitat for Zebra danio but I have no idea what type of rocks or plants may be found where they're from.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Okay here were my search results...

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/danio.htm#set

This site has the most info on danios in general. The person seems to have kept quite a few. I did not get any good reference pictures, but from what I read just a few plants and open swimming space with good water current.

If you want a nice looking environment I would model after Takashi Amano's tanks. Check out this site for some good pics...

http://www.myfishtank.net/mft-news/taka ... ted-tanks/

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Takashi's tanks are awsome. I'd like to get some of the rock he uses.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Yes I read about Amano aquarium scaping and saw many aquariums done by him. However I also read that those aquariums aren't always representative of real world environments where a certain fish like a Neon Tetra is found.

For example if I wanted a tank with minimum or none plants, covered with sand and with big yellow rugged rocks. Would it be descriptive of any rael world habitat?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Not really, but I like that they look like mountains or islands.

I think my tank looks pretty real as I'm trying to make a natural look into miniature.

I remember snorkeling down some streams in Florida that flowed out of blue hole caves and they had sandy bottoms and beautiful reeds and deep holes with fish. Gorgious.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

yea the springs here are very pretty. if you ever come back down visit wakulla springs in wakulla near tallahassee, that is one of the most beautiful i have ever seen in my life.

amano has a site which sells all the stuff they use from wood to rocks. it is a very good source for anyone who is wanting to setup something real nice.

here is a few ADA (aqua design amano) distributor sites that are in the U.S. The first one is in Texas, the later in California.

http://www.aquariumdesigngroup.com/

http://www.adana-usa.com

If you really want to make sure everything is habitat friendly for your setup i would probably buy from them.

MonkeyChunks

by MonkeyChunks

Yes, the amano tanks look great. If anyone does one of those its worth a lot of appreciation. But once again those are not exactly wild environments. A lot of them done to look miniature and to represent zen buddhism.

I am just surprised I can't really find photos or descriptions of the original habitats of certain fish species. For example there are a lot of fish from specific lakes in Africa ( dont remember the names) and there are fish from certain environments in India and China. How do I know what they look like ?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I used to snorkle in the stream by my dad's home in upstate NY and yea, it would be nice to have like vidio footage of 12 inch deep water in the rapids opening into deep pools made where the stream runs into willow roots. It's cool to see the fish waiting in the pool at the place where the rapids run into it and have little minnows nipping at your skin.

Sometimes there are gorges of rock where there are waterfalls and lots of crayfish at the bottom too.

I spent a lot of time by myself playing in the creek when I was a kid.

8 posts