Anyone use Seachem Flourish Excel in their planted tank?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I have been using Flourish Trace and Iron in my tanks for a while. When I started using the Trace I finally saw some good growth! I don't have any special lighting or C02 or anything. I just grow mostly sword plants because those are my favorite. The only trouble with algae I ever had was the brown algae on my plants. I have 2 little Otto cats who work on that. Well, I read that the Excel will help with growth and with brown algae. I started using it about 3 weeks ago. At first I saw a wonderful spurt of new growth in all my plants! Now tho, I am finding that the older leaves are getting thin, and some dying off. But my main issue is all of a sudden, after a year and a half with never seeing it, I am getting green algae everywhere! Its on the hood, on the decor and on leaves that I have had to cut off because it wont come off. Now my poor plants are small all over again.

My water parameters are fine, no change in lighting, etc. The only thing different is the Excel. Has this ever happened to anyone? There is no more brown algae, but now a bunch of green crap. Should I stop using it? Cut back? I use a little under the recommendation every other day.

Thanks for your input!
Cathy

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i think your problem may be the lighting.... alge thrive in low lighting and if you have all thoes excess nutrients from your ferts....they will so even more

jweb1369

by jweb1369

yeah, i'd say go with a higher watt light and it should cut down the algae. Atleast thats what i read. but look around on the net for info on lighting and make sure you get the right light, too bright could also not be good. I read recently that on smaller aquariums people use a higher ratio for watts per gallon than on larger tanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Phosphate is as I understand the #1 cause of fast and overwhelming algae growth as far as water params are concerned. I'm sure after a year of established aquaria though you haven't really changed your feeding habits, as fish food is the #1 supplier of phosphates in aquaria.

It's possible its time for at the very least, a lightbulb change, if your fixture can't support higher wattage. Flourescent lighting - no matter the type is known to lose half of its spectrum strength in just 6 months. Though the light may not appear any more dull to the naked eye, there's light its no longer supplying to your plants, and the algae may find this more attractive than your plants.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I have noticed the tank looks a bit darker than it has. I just replaced the bulb about 4 months ago. When I did a cleaning yesterday, I removed the hood to clean it (its glass and I use a razor blade to remove the water stains) and found the whole back of it, right under the light was covered in green slime. Yuck! I am thinking maybe there is now too much nutrients in the tank. I have mainly sword plants because I don't like the way the stem plants can dirty a tank. I do have a chunk of hornwort that hangs in one corner that the angels love to stay under. So, ,I guess I will cut back on my ferts and hope the plants still show as much growth and the green algae stays at bay.

Thanks for the input everyone!

5 posts