Pseudotropheus lombardoi with aulonocara's?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

A compatibility chart says pseudotropheus's and aulonocara dont go well, or atleast not recommended. Is this possible in a 30 gallon setup? The picture I have uploaded is the one of the 30 gal, but I have more rocks/coverage and plants now. Im wondering if I buy the aulonocara larger if that would be better. Currently I have a male and female kenyi cichlid and a male and female yellow lab. If that's not possible, any suggestions for tank mates? Will be thankful for input =D

faile486

by faile486

Don't the cichlids require more space than a 30g? I thought they took at least a 50 ^^; Are they still fairly young/small?

jweb1369

by jweb1369

well they only reach a size of about 4-5".

miami754

by miami754

Your poor females are going to die once they reach sexual maturity. With mbunas, you need to generall keep 3-4 females per male. If you only have 1 female then the aggression is not spread out and the male will chase her until she dies, especially in that small of a tank.

I am not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but I am just warning you that if you want to add fish do one of two things - either take out the females and have a male only tank (where you buy a single male of each species and have several species in the tank) or skip the aulonocara and buy more female kenyi and labs. If you don't do one of these two things, I am afraid you will end up frustrated and starting over in the end.

faile486

by faile486

Yes, they only get 4-5", but different fish require different amounts of swimming space, right? Plus levels of aggression will always be higher if they're kept in smaller spaces. That's why 50g tanks are the smallest recommended for that type of fish.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Thanks miami754, I think that is what I'll do. Maybe buy a few more females of each. I hope it works out. The female kenyi I have is about the most aggressive fish I have ever seen. If any of the other fish are in her line of sight she chases them.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

just bought 2 more kenyi females that are really vibrant blue, and also bought another female yellow lab. tank is alot more alive now =). i just hope that the smaller kenyi females dont get picked on too much. they are about 1" and the larger female is 2.5" and male is about 2".

7 posts