Large bulge on the side of my blue guarami

23 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

stephkayc

by stephkayc

I noticed this 4 days ago although it looked smaller yesterday it is now twice the size and also starting to show on the other side. Does anyone know what this might be? I already removed him from the tank the 1st day and am surprised he is still alive bc he looks like he is going to explode!! Help......

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Where is it showing? Near the gills or farther back? Is it a bulge as if something is on the inside causing it? Or does it look more like a round growth on the outside? Any discoloring? Change in eating or other behavior?

Zambize

stephkayc

by stephkayc

It is showing near the gills and looks like it is coming from the inside. It looks even larger today, I cant believe this little guy is still alive. He has not been eating, no discoloring and acts normal. I still have him seperated from the tank.

stephkayc

by stephkayc

I have posted a pic of him under my profile.

zambize

by zambize

Wow, that's big. I was asking all the questions because your description reminds of a Betta that died a couple of months ago. Same thing, same description, everything. I couldn't identify it using any fish guides available. I thought maybe tissue inflamation that would go away, but when it got about as big as your fish's, my partner, who is a dermatologist, said that it looked like a tumor. My little guy was dead about two days later.

After watching my little one struggle the last two days, I bought a product called Finquel that is a powder used for humane aquatic euthanasia. I've used it for other dying fish since. Kind of sappy, I know, but most people don't like to see anything suffer. Sorry, I hope he recovers. Let me know.

Zambize

stephkayc

by stephkayc

From what I have seen going through different internet sites, I also came to the conclusion of a tumor. Where do I buy that Finquel from? He doesn't seem to be suffering he just looks sad and stares into the other tank all day. Its very sad!! :(

zambize

by zambize

Check out this article for Finquel:
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/81

Let me know if that link doesn't work. I bought the $24.95 bottle, which might sound like a lot, but when you're standing there watching your favorite fish die slowly, I'd fork it over! The Betta that died was my favorite of all time, Finley. I have a picture of him in my profile. I had him such a short time, but he was just super.

If you do get the Finquel, the dosing must have been written by a computer-based, Vulcan, life form of a pharmacist because it's like a foreign, math-based language. I had my partner, who is a doctor, get a pharmacist friend to translate it to actual words for me. All the numbers and milligrams on the instructions basically mean 1/8 teaspoon to 1 gallon of water for sedation. Once the fish is comfortably sleeping, add another 1/8 teaspoon to the same gallon of water for euthanasia. The fish should drift off without any distress.

Works with fish and aquatic frogs.

Too bad you're not around San Diego, I'd get some Finquel to you. When it's my time to go, I hope someone has a big bottle of Finquel handy...

Zambize

thisfish884485

by thisfish884485

Ive caught a 20 lb carp that had a tumor that was the size of a lemon. It was almost growing out of his eye!! the surprising part was the fish appeared unaffected an even managed to catch the little lure i using. maybe your fish will be ok as for Humane Aquatic Euthanasia???? lol What makes it humane? is it painless? Iv'e read that fish dont feel pain So how does it work? .
Last edited by thisfish884485 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stephkayc

by stephkayc

Ok um I dont think that I'm gonna be able to do that, I will cry and then everyone at work is gonna laugh at me for crying and then call me a fish killer again. It took forever for the paging over the intercom " fish killer to the sales tower" to stop. All the customers in the dealership wanted an explanation.

Btw it was an accident I couldnt get the water right the first time I changed my managers tank so I killed his betta. Now I use spring water and all the betta's in the dealership are alive and kickin!! lol

thisfish884485

by thisfish884485

Its a muscle relaxer that prevents the brain from signaling the body.That means that your fish suffocates while the brain is still alert. Awake yet helpless to breath or move. Doesnt sound very humane to me

23 posts • Page 1 of 3