i got a free 5 inch electric yellow today. it has a problem

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

rw1298

by rw1298

it is very skiny , almost a sunken stomach . the owner of the pet store said he had him about a month and he has not gotten better or worse. so i offered to take him and see what i could do. now i did give him some small pellets and some brine shrimp. he ate it all.he almost looks like one of those fish you pull of the intake on your filter and he gimps away all strange and bent. i took a pic but it wont post for days so thats not worth throwing on here. Any ideas on getting this guy back on track?

miami754

by miami754

If he is eating, but has a sunken stomach and is lethargic then it sounds like he has an internal parasite. I have never used this medication, but I know I have heard of many people using this food that is supposed to kill internal parasites. I know they have it at my Petsmart here. Good luck.

Bigfish0016124

by Bigfish0016124

One of my white clouds had this same problem, he would behave fine and eat but he was really skinny compared to the rest of the fish. I just kept feeding him along with the rest of the tank. I agree with miami that it is some kind of parasite and can most likely be helped by some medicine. Hope he ends up better than my fish with this problem. Hope your fish gets better!

gumbii

by gumbii

doesn't prazi kill internal parasites..??? google sunken stomach cichlid to see what pops up...

go get some daphna from your LFS or petco/petsmart... that will help him out a bit... or try feeding him spirulina or peas...

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

Try parasite clear and that medicated fish food. It is probably a nematode or trematode. I had the same problem with a jewel cichlid once, he overcame it but it stunted his growth badly

rw1298

by rw1298

i put him in a q tank and treated him yest. and he is starting to untuck his fins , he is now showing stripes and looks really good. so the parasite was probably the problem. thanks everybody for the advice , looks like its working.

6 posts