Can't understand lighting requirements!

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I've read several articles from several places about lighting and I just don't get it. I haven't thought much about lighting and I'm just now trying to learn about it. I wanted to find out if I have low light or what, and if it is right for my tank. I assume my tank is ok because it is part of a kit that I got from a reputable manufacturer. Maybe. Anyway, my tank is 37 gallons, 20 inches deep, and the florescent bulb says 17W.

But, when I try to use lighting calculators or the "standard" of 2 watts per gallon for my typical setup, it just doesn't make sense. The math makes it look like my 17W is terribly undersized. It looks bright to me. ?

I have basic community fish, no live plants, and no direct or indirect sunlight. I have the light on for 8 hours per day.

Can anyone explain this?

Zambize

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

Without plants 17 watts is probably enough if it looks bright enough for you. You might have horrible algae blooms with more lighting. If you were to put plants there is a cool calculator at http://www.fitchfamily.com/lighting.html. It uses a theorem based on Takasi Amano's planted tanks

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

But still, the math bugs me. Some sites say it is minimum 2 watts per gallon. Which for me would be 74 watts? (Which would be like a super nova in my tank.) Some sites say 2 watts per gallon of water. Which for me would be about 56 watts. Way more than my 17 watts. Is my math or understanding of this way off? Maybe I'm being math stupid, but I'm really confused.

Zambize

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Oh, and moonlight. The same articles mentioned using lunar lights to replicate moonlight. Anyone think this is necessary, or recommended?

Zambize

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

Moonlight is for saltwater corals mostly but can be cool in freshwater, I only have 1 watt per gallon in my 55

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

My brother has two 15 watt lights in a 30 gallon planted tank. The light seems bright but its not enough to grow high light plants like glosso. The anubias and wendtii and wisteria do great as well as a couple others

zambize

by zambize

Wow, two 15 watt lights in a 30 gallon tank. Mine seems bright to me, but it sounds like your house could be seen for miles around. LOL But seriously, mine is 17 watts in a 37 gallon, and I have one 15 watt in my 20 gallon, and it takes a few minutes for the fish to get used to it....how do your fish take to such bright light?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Out of curiosity, is there any reason why you would be interested in upping your light? If its for the Java Moss I can assure you that it's probably fine with what you have and will just grow slow. But if you were to calculate....you're just under 0.5wpg. Were you ever to consider getting what falls into the category of ''average'' plants, this would be incredibly inadequate.

Try to think of it in terms of radiation instead of the intensity of what you see. the 86w light I have over my 30gal looks about the same as the 15w I have over my 16gal. It's also easy to tell I only have 15w over the top of my plants in there cause they grow at 1/4 speed of the plants in my new 30gal. Plants are absorbing light you can't necessarily see. Some of the radiation is lost in the glass just below the light, some at the surface of the water. So the greater the wattage doesn't necessarily equal more blinding light.

Another thing to consider is the kelvin scale. Optimum plant growth is considered to occur between 5400-6700 kelvin. This is simply put...to what degree the light is white. You may have noticed some tanks with a very yellow hue, and some which are bright white. The higher the kelvin the ''whiter'' the light. Marine tanks use 10,000k and up. I guess the UV from the sun and the way it refracts in the ocean has something to do with how demanding corals are for a much higher kelvin than plant growth.

6700k is a nice white light and what's considered closest to actual 'daylight'.

zambize

by zambize

Thanks T-83,

I don't "want" to change my light, I just got interested in it because I don't know a thing about it. And based on what I read, I didn't seem to understand the calculation for watts per gallon because using that, my light seemed terribly inadequate. I know it's mostly for plants, which is really what I was reading, but in the back of my mind I was also wondering if my fish are getting too little light. But I'm sure the kit I got is ok for a basic community tank. I just wanted to understand it better and the articles just weren't making enough sense.

Thanks!
Zambize

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

The 30 gallon looks great and is bright on the top but not all the light penetrates the plants. The fish have plenty cover. In my profile picture the two lights have different bulbs the left bulb is a Color intensifer from lightning rod and the right is a dual day actinic 10000k from lightnig rod you can definitely notice the difference in spectrums. The lightnig rod bulbs are cool because instead of being t8 bulbs they are t6 bulbs that produce 30 to 70 percent more than a typical t8.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2