Want to add sand to tank.

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dugkil

by dugkil

Was wondering if I could just add sand to my tank right now, or do i need a new kind of filter and what are the negatives of doing this? I recently cleaned everything out of my fish tank. I want to put sand and rocks in together. Any suggestions please.......

rw1298

by rw1298

i have sand in 2 of my tanks . as long as you dont have a ug filter you will be fine. rinse the sand in a bucket first to get rid of all the light stuff. then add your sand and rock. your tank is going to be cloudy for days then it will settle.

Serial324556

by Serial324556

I have Quikrete Premium Playsand in my freshwater tank. It's fairly easy to do just make sure you rinse it really well in buckets, this may take some time and patients depending on how much sand your going to put in. When the water turns from muddy to clear you know you are done rinsing. But it looks really nice when you are all done.

I have a regular HOB filter in my 29 gallon, just make sure you make the intake tube shorter. I have mine about 8 inches from the bottom. If you don't do this it may damage your filter, I damaged the last filter I had from getting sand sucked up in but it was because I had the intake tube down too far.

When adding it in I used a plastic cup to lower it to the bottom that way the tank doesn't get AS cloudy as it would if you were to just dump it in there. It will still get cloudy but shouldn't be too bad. Also turn your filter off until most of the sand sediments reach the bottom. I left my filter off for about an hour or 2 after putting the sand in.

gumbii

by gumbii

do a search... i am not getting into details on this one...

rw1298

by rw1298

i used the same sand . i got mine from home depot. i tghink it was $3.49 for 50 lbs

dugkil

by dugkil

Thanks guys I'm getting the sand tommorow. Hopefully i get some pics up.

pipdesign5529

by pipdesign5529

sand is good for an aquarium in my opinion it adds alot of surface area for micro organisms to grow and thrive to complete the circle of life and stabilze your water

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

I have sand in my tank check it out. Its extrafine and the plants grow long hair like roots and hold the sand in place in the tank. Cost me 4 bucks. You should add peatmoss and fert tabs and maybe some flourite at the base.If you plant it. The hills in my tank were made by fish but held in place by the plant roots

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

You will have to rinse it really well and mean reeeeaaallly well

9 posts