I bought new fish --- an Angel Ram

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I've read about them and I know that there is much debate about exactly what they are, and whether they should even be. I certainly won't be breeding an unknown fish. I liked him, he is super cute, really good looking. He's been home an hour and he has a dazzling personality and is already the star of the Q tank. He and Tommy, my Gourami, brush against one another when turning the same corner and they don't even notice it. My high strung Endler's finally noticed that he was there and one or two paused, looked at him (I could see the thought bubble say "whatever"), and casually went on. Even my female Endler's who are smart, savvy, and very aware. They just glanced.

So far I'm seeing that no one is sensing a threat, granted these are community fish and non-aggressive, but the new Angel Ram was naturally flaring his big spiky dorsal when anyone came near for a couple of hours. No one was impressed. So, I'm hoping this sensitive fish lives, and he continues to blend.

Anyone have good info on this Angel Ram?

Z

dizzcat

by dizzcat

So, what exactly are Angel Rams?? I don't think I have ever seen them before and this place is the only place I have ever heard that name before. I have 2 Bolivian Rams, a male and female who have spwned for me a couple times. They are my very favorite fish of all I have!

zambize

by zambize

I'm told by the lfs (they're pretty decent) that Angel Rams are a product of "selective breeding", which means that they've taken Blue Rams, they said German Blue Rams, and selectively bred them to look like these.

You can tell for sure that they are Rams, and they look very much like German Blue Rams but their body is more rounded. Some people describe their body as "balloon-shaped", but I don't see quite that much roundedness. However, I gather that these fish can vary quite a bit. It is much more difficult to tell which is the female in these Angel Rams as the bellies are not uniformly pink or otherwise.

They definitely have Ram personalities, through and through! They are delightful. I liked the one so much I bought four more, expecting a DOA or two. One died in a week, but there was more stress in that tank than I would like. I would buy them again.

Zambize

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

This is a picture of one of my Angel Rams. I have four now and they have been a great addition to my community tank. It's still early but so far they are behaving and no one is upset about them.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/friendemail.php/19908

Zambize

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Thanks for the info :-) Now I wont feel so dumb reading the posts LOL. I just adore my Bolivians! My male is king of the community tank. He never bites, but sure does posture a lot and is constantly showing off for his lady. Ever see a Ram puff up as big as they will get and flare all their fins? Pretty impressive :-)

5 posts