Please Help Identify..

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

Please Help Identify..

by Tmercier834747

I have some sort of worm or possibly a parasite (though I've yet to see it affect the fish) that clings to condensation on glass hoods on two of my tanks and crawls around. I've tried drying the hoods and cleaning them with a bleach dilute solution and every time after several days the worms return. They don't seem to be bothering the fish as they first appeared in my girlfriends tank months ago, and since then probably by snails or watersprite migrated to my 16 gallon (with my stupid help). They don't seem able to live permanently submersed, as I said they usually cling to the hood and I never see any swimming around by choice...

They're approx 1/2" long at max, roughly the diameter of a needle, and off-white/tan colored.

At first I thought it was a parasite that most commonly infected ghost shrimp (I once bought a ghost shrimp with this kind of parasite in it, thus researched, though I forget the name) But the worm that came out of the ghost shrimp, and yes I witnessed it when it happened, was MUCH longer than what I'm seeing on my hood.

Anyone know what this is or how to eliminate without stripping my tanks which isn't really an option, at least since it hasn't harmed any of my fish/become parasitic to any of my amanos/cherry reds for months..? =\

spraky1413

by spraky1413

The only time I've seen something like that is the little thin white worms that live in dirt; I see them when I garden. Doubt that's what it is though...

spraky1413

by spraky1413

i take that back... I went to feed my fish this morning and there are TONS of tiny white worms in the tank. Maybe the width of a fine hair, about a centimeter long. My gourami is eagerly swimming around eating them. No idea what they are

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

They don't seem to exist in tanks of mine without glass tops that don't collect any condensation on top. These guys are really urking me, and have been for some time.

morbus6373

by morbus6373

to the guy who's gourami is eating the worms-those are not bad worms. they help alot in cleaning the tank gravel-kinda cool!!!
they are also an indicator of water quality and/or oxygen levels. when they crawl out of the gravel up the glass- - -something is wrong

the other guy- - - -
those are huge worms!!!!!!!!!!
do you see any in your tank(water)
do you find any when you clean he gravel?

Please Help Identify..

5 posts