Moonlight LED's

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

Moonlight LED's

by Tmercier834747

For anyone who owns any noctournal fish such as Striped Raphael Catfish or Kuhli loaches, check out moonlights. I just picked up a simple $14 single submersible white LED (overpriced but far less than the supposed high tec crap you'll pay for at the big online stores), and for once I'm enjoying both ends of the spectrum when it comes to fish habits day or night.
I think it was designed to light very small tanks but in this 30g tall it more or less simulates moonlight which lights things just enough to get the nightowls running but allows the other fish to 'sleep'.
I'm seeing my kuhli's do things I haven't seen in months.

gumbii

by gumbii

um... very overpriced...

what just did on my 90g reef is i went to radioshack and picked up some blue L.E.D.'s... they're like a buck fifty, or a little more... then get a 3V converter, or even a 12V converter... but you're going to have to get some capacitors...

okay... here's the run down... each L.E.D. runs on 1.5V... so if you get two led's and wire them up in series...so they drop the voltage to 1.5 volts each... comprende..??? i spent probably about 7 bucks for a complete L.E.D. setup...

another tip. or something that i do is put the led's at an angle... it gives that shimmering real moonlight effect... i love it... like moon beams and stuff... incredible... and if you have alot of surface turbulence you also get that "shimmer" effect but on the substrate and decor... but it isn't as impressive as when the led's are flashing the water at an angle...

Moonlight LED's

2 posts