High Alkaline

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Sumthing_Fishy

High Alkaline

by Sumthing_Fishy

Hi. I did my first water change of aquarium, treated the water with filters off and did a water test. The nitrate was 0 safe, nitrite 0 safe, hardness 150 hard, alkalinity 120 ideal, and ph either 7.8 or 8.4 alkaline. I usually use Wardley's Bullseye pH 7.0 treatment, but do not have any of hand at the moment. Is there anything else you can do to correct the pH? Thank you.

Michele

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Depending-on-the-fish-you-may-be-OK-with-the-alkalinity-you-have.......Yes,-there-are-buffers,-but......You-could-try-spring-water-for-a-portion-of-the-water-changes......Some-say-wood-for-aquariums-helps,-and-a-bag-of-peat-moss(though-I've-never-tried-this-and-don't-know-if-you-have-to-get-a-particular-kind-or-not)........Others-may-have-some-more-avaliable-solutions.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

OK, thank you. The Wartley pH Booster corrects the pH. I'll have to get some tomorrow.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Good-deal.....I-need-to-do-some-research-on-pH-buffers....I've-used-them,-and-it-would-seem-that-correcting-the-pH-with-them-would-be-the-way-to-go,-but-I-don't-know-for-sure-how-good-they-are-and-if-they-really-make-the-water-better-for-the-fish.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

You can also read the thread just a couple notches up..driftwood and PH. lol

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I had some driftwood in there. The pH corrected. I did the test before allowing enough time for the water conditioner to treat the water thoroughly.

High Alkaline

6 posts