Does my tank need snails or something similar?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Inverts aren't my favorite subject, as they gross me out a little. Mushy things or things I can see through either make me jittery or nauseated. But, if it's good for my tank I may consider it. I don't currently have an algae problem, my parameters are ok, my fish are ok, water is clear -- but should I add some invert creature before I need it, or do I need it and don't know it? :)

Zambize

37 GALLON TANK
pH 8.0-8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
Temp 77-79 F.
black 3/8" substrate
dense artificial plants
regular fluorescent lights on 6-10 hours per day

LIVESTOCK
6 male Guppies
3 Black Neon Tetras
4 Zebra Danios
1 female Dwarf Rainbowfish
1 female Betta

(to finish off, I'm considering adding 6 Endler's and 1 Apistogramma Cacatuoide (2" Dwarf Cichlid "Cockatoo") -- then 2 more Zebras if the existing 4 aren't happy)

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Well since you don't currently have a problem I wouldn't worry about adding a solution until you see the first signs of one. This tank is still relatively new despite the fact that it is cycled.
If you feel like adding a preventative a small school (3) Otocinculus are great algae removers and despite my hypocracy (I only have 1 in each of my tanks) are much happier with two buddies.
Plecostomus are considerably more needy and a CAE or SAE (chinese or siamese algae eaters) may be aggressive to your tetras or guppies, ooor betta.
If you really feel like spending some cash...There's a fish called a Dwarf Zebra Pleco. Of course the demand for this fish is insane, its striking colors, and the fact that it doesn't get as HUGE as most other varieties have pushed it's STARTING price up to $149.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... catid=1136
Most places won't even guarantee a fish this expensive cause they pay a lot for them themselves. It's also very sensitive, will probably want a planted tank, with real driftwood. By the time I'm ready to get one they'll probably be $500 or something. may as well get a cat. lol

I still think you should add wood to your tank to buffer your PH down a bit. Most of the fish you have are acclimated to 7.0-7.4 in the stores, or even long before they reach the stores. I'm surprised you haven't lost more..

If you're looking for a floor cleaning crew, corydoras are great, as are Kuhli loaches. There are some cool varieties, my gf's personal favorite is the Panda Cory. They also blink their eyes. Kinda cute. My kuhli's, once they became adults, spend most of their time hiding, so cory's are a bit more entertaining into adulthood. My kuhli's took the cake as babies though.

Also I think the cichlid your mentioning doesn't really like a PH above 7.8, at all. So if you want to see a long life out of it, that's another thing to consider. Very nice color in the males though. If I had a bigger tank I'd be getting those instead of Flame Dwarf Gouramis. =P

zambize

by zambize

T -

Wow, cool Zebra Pleco. Thanks for adding that. I'm very interested in driftwood but was concerned about adding another variable when I'm still stocking my tank. Should I wait until I get to my desired stock? Also, what kind of driftwood? I hear of something called Malaysian and one other in my lfs. After you put driftwood in the tank, how/when does it affect the pH? Also, does the driftwood need to be replaced or does it continue to be effective against pH indefinitely? One more, how much driftwood is needed for a 37 gallon tank at pH 8.0-8.2....small piece or big piece?

I've tried peat in both my main tank's filters but it didn't do anything. I've also tried drinking water (pure, but not stripped of minerals), which brought it down from 8.4 or so. My pH reflects the local city water so all pet stores and lfs have similar pH, although I know that most of the fish must come from elsewhere. I'm a bit surprised as well that I've only had "routine" deaths. Although I have intentionally focused on hardy fish. Someone lied to me when they said those damn Black Neon Tetras were both hardy and fun. They are neither.

Zambize

thisfish884485

by thisfish884485

Most Petstores have r/o filters that crankout pure 7.0 water. Its a good investment if you have alot of tanks. Ive heard that the driftwood doesnt change the Ph but buffers the water so that the ph is able to drop but i could be wrong. I use well water that comes out clean and ph 8.5-8.7 perfect for my Africans

thisfish884485

by thisfish884485

Have you thought about cherry shrimp?

5 posts