Gouramis and Planted Tanks

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Anyone have a combo of these?

I just picked up a couple of Gourami's now that my 30gal has cycled, and happened to glance over and see one of them ripping a freaking 6" rotting frond of corkscrew val from the rest of the plant (they haven't started new growth yet as all the plants are still acclimating, and much of the old growth is dying off). Obviously since its rotting its not much of a loss but they've also been nipping at other plants...I hope this behavior doesn't continue when the plants start new growth and become healthy...
It's not like I don't already have enough snails to take care of rotting growth. They love it.

Do anyone else's Gouramis behave like this?

spraky1413

by spraky1413

I have heard that they do, but my gourami leaves my plants alone. The only thing that bothers them is my catfish when he tries to hide in them and ends up uprooting them and i have to replant them.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

...I read that they are 'algae pickers' much like guppies. Maybe they treat the decaying vegetation as such and are pulling at it without discretion. -.- They don't seem to be doing any irreversible damage, thankfully.

3 posts