Shrimp

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

ChristinaBug2890

Shrimp

by ChristinaBug2890

I'm really interested in adding some shrimp to my tank but I'm afraid my fish will snack on them so maybe i'll set up another tank. Are there any fish that work really well with shrimp? Maybe something I can put in my 10gal? Even if it's just ghost shrimp that i end up with I dont mind.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

red cherry shrimp are pretty cool but kinda expensive when come down to it.....mine seem to have pulled a vanashing act so that kinda sucks, but they have an amazing colur

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I-like-Ghost-shrimp-because-they-get-pretty-big,-have-very-long-antenae,-and-have-a-more-open-extended-shape-than-most-other-fresh-water-shrimp-have.

Only-pretty-big-fish-would-eat-these,-and-they-can-only-catch-the-smallest-and-weakest-of-fish.....I-guess-from-your-post-that-they're-not-as-desirable-as-the-other-kinds.........I-like-them-though.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

I assumed that they werent really a kind to shrimp to be kept long term...at petsmart here they're sold as feeders. I think they cost somewhere around 1$ each...but i would entertain the idea of starting off with those if i could.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

They-went-from-10-for-a-dollar-to-4-per-dallar-here-at-my-aquarium-store.....I-have-heard-they-can-be-up-to-a-dollar-each,-but-that-would-be-expensive-for-feeder-shrimp.

rsbadger15

by rsbadger15

peter has your space bar fallen off? lol

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

For color Red Cherry shrimp are GREAT at creating some red contrast in your aquarium. They are costly though. The Pet store I visited yesterday wanted $7 a piece, which I think is nuts.

A commonly overlooked shrimp in the aquarium trade is the amano (japonica/algae eating) shrimp. They are some of the best algae eaters/cleaners you will find. My profile picture over there <---- features one in my 16gal.

I realized awhile back I had a growing hair algae problem (pun intended) I went out and got some amanos. Keep in mind I have hundreds of snails and several oto's in my tank. After adding the amanos the hair algae disappeared. They're a good bottom-dwelling cleanup crew, and do not eat plants as some people suggest, usually catching the blame for something else in the owners tank.
Lastly they're cheaper than Cherry Red's. The same store I went to yesterday wanted I believe $1-2.50 for them.

Awhile back when I first started checking out the idea of shrimp in the aquarium I purchased several "Crystal Red Shrimp" from a store I no longer go to. They were nearly $8, and I was told they looked like cherry reds because they were juvenile. They were ACTUALLY cherry reds. Yeah so, I wasn't really imprsesed with them even though they have the most stock variety in the area. They really pissed me off. The cherry reds in their ''cherry red'' tank were $4 at the time.

Anyway to get to my point...Crystal Red shrimp are also great, but are even more spendy than cherry reds.

I think ghost shrimp are hideous (at least the last pair I got was) but they can be some fun to watch like any other shrimp when they lock their little claws and play/fight over a piece of food.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I-need-to-check-out-those-algae-eating-Amanos,-I-guess-that's-a-pic-on-your-avitar,-right-Tmercier?

And-yep.....Space-bar's-fried......Gotta-getta-nutta-keyboarda.

gumbii

by gumbii

i have TONS of amano shrimp in my goldfish pond... sometimes i see the birds picking them off of the water's surface... it's an infestation... i need to throw in a koi to eat them all...

another shrimp that is always overlooked is the bamboo river shrimp... those are my favorite... i have a couple of those in several tanks... they're huge and filter out small particles from the water current...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

They're-the-ones-with-the-brush-like-adaptions-on-their-appendages-right?

Shrimp

13 posts • Page 1 of 2