Gravel Vacuum and Refill

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Sumthing_Fishy

Gravel Vacuum and Refill

by Sumthing_Fishy

Hi. I have just a regular sized gravel vacuum that I used on the smaller tank that was located near a sink to drain and would refill by using buckets of water. Can someone recommend something like a 25 feet hose that would connect to the faucet of a kitchen sink or shower pipe that can be used to refill the tank without using buckets of water. I've tried to take the piece off a garden hose, but I think it is welded in place. It looked like it screwed inside the other piece that I need off of there. I seen the python and penn plex version. Has anyone used either of these connected to a shower pipe or kitchen sink or what else do you all use to refill tank without buckets of water? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Michele

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i use the python to clean my gravel, but to refill i use gallon water jugs, of pre treated water that i have let sit for about a week. the problem with filling it directly from your sink with the python is 1. you water from your tap is not treated 2. the temperature difference, either it being to hot or to cold, this is why i let my water sit if i keep my apt at 75 and my tank at 78 there my be a few degrees diff between the two but not huge, so it wont make to much of a change, fish are sensitive to temperature changes.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i also keep a 10 gallon top off tank that is kept the same everything as my main tank same temp, PH the only diff is it is RO water so the first 10 gal of my water change it completely the same makes things a little easier.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

na
Last edited by Sumthing_Fishy on Mon May 19, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

darkruby

by darkruby

Hey, since we are talking bout water. How long should you wait after you put chemicals inside the water to get rid of harmful metals? Right away right?

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Dark -
I've been told 15 minutes and that's been working for me. Although people I've spoken to using the Python to refill their tank treat the water directly in the tank and don't wait at all. Other people have told me that they leave their water out for 24 hours and that removes chlorine/choramine. Wait to hear from the experts though.

Z

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

not much help here as i use r/o water for my changes.
Brandon

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

I usually wait about 15 minutes with the filters off and has been working for me too. I was mainly wanting to know what other's use to drain and refill their tank. The 30 gallon in the kitchen was no problem, it is right next to the sink. To fill this 125, I had to get a water hose and hook it to the washing machine cold faucet, then unhook and put on the hot faucet, then back to cold and was trying to avoid doing that again. lol I would like to get some kind of hose, like a showerhead with an extra-long hose that they use on people that are bedridden and connect that to the existing shower, drain in the bathtub and refill with the long showerhead hose.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

and the washing machine is downstairs in the basement.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

the python works well for what you need

Gravel Vacuum and Refill

19 posts • Page 1 of 2