lighting/ hood question

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

a1k8t31524

lighting/ hood question

by a1k8t31524

So i am looking at upgrading my lighting i found these
http://www.aquariumguys.com/24satellite.html
the seem like the best fit for me
spongebob i believe that these are similar if not the same that you said that you had a while back.
the question that i have for you all is i have an all glass brand aquarium, and the hood that cam with it. i do now know if this will work on it or not. Will i need to get a new hood/ canapoy? I like the look of the glass canopies but do not know if it would work with my setup or not, i do not know if i would have the clearance that i would need for filter hoses, and all that good stuff.
if anyone has or has had this lighting system before please let me know if you think it would work or not.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The-light-looks-OK-to-me,-but-only-for-a-20-gallon...I-would-get-a-double-65-watt-for-anything-bigger.......If-it-fits-under-your-hood-and-has-room-for-filters(a-canister-filter-takes-very-little-room-from-top-of-tank),-make-sure-you-buy-a-cooling-fan-from-say-Radioshack-to-vent-the-hood......Light-says-lunar-lights-can-be-on-when-mains-are-off,-so-that's-a-plus,-and-the-cost-is-good....How-wide-and-deep-is-the-tank?....The-wider-ones-come-with-2-65-watt-bulbs-I-believe.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

OK..You-have-a-55-gallon....Unless-it's-only-low-light-plants-I'd-buy-one-with-at-least-2-65-watt-bulbs......There-are-basic-simple-fixtures-designed-to-screw-to-the-underside-of-a-hood....That-may-be-even-cheaper,-though-I've-only-seen-them-at-my-aquarium-store...You-can-find-a-cooling-fan-say-5-inch-wide-for-like-$15,-or-for-free-from-the-right-dumpsters-like-I-did.......I-have-2-3-foot-fixtures...A-75-watt-T5-double-and-a-double-95-watt-compact-flourescent,-though-only-one-of-the-95-watt-bulbs-is-new....For-$70-a-bulb-it-was-all-I-could-afford....I-have-these-lights-over-a-35-gallon-tank-long,-about-14-inches-to-the-gravel-from-water-surface,-and-I-think-it's-about-right-for-high-light-plants,-and-I-don't-have-excesive-algae-growth....I-guess-I-have-about-6-watts-per-gallon,.....I-look-at-the-plants-to-tell-me-if-I-have-enough-light,.....I-don't-use-rules-of-thumb.....I'd-err-on-the-too-much-light-rather-than-too-little-light-as-I-was-pissed-when-I-bought-the-nova-75-watt-fixture-and-it-was-obvious-there-wasn't-enough-light....That-would-be-say-2-watts-per-gallon,-which-is-supposed-to-be-enough-light-for-med-to-high-light-plants-I-think.......It-sure-didn't-look-like-it.....Now-that-I-put-the-95-watt-and-it's-old,-(maybe-25-watt-now)-2nd-bulb-on-the-tank-too-I-feel-it's-just-about-right......I'd-look-for-the-kind-you-can-screw-to-the-underside-of-your-hood......You-can-add-extra-fixtures-if-you-need-more-light,-and-you're-not-paying-for-the-housing-for-the-light...You-don't-need,-and-it's-best-to-not-have-a-housing-if-you-have-a-hood

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

OOOO....You-have-a-glass-canopy?....Well,-I'd-bump-up-the-lighting-anyway.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

no glass canapoy was thinking of getting one eventually and since i have a 55 gallon i was thinking 2x on those lights i set for each side

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That-sounds-OK,-but-you-better-get-the-little-"feet"-for-them-because-the-light-you're-looking-at-has-no-cooling-fan-and-it'll-get-pretty-hot.......I-read-that-the-2-bulb-fixtures-have-a-fan,-but-they-are-3-feet-wide-I-think......Why-can't-you-get-a-3-foot-wide-light?....Isn't-your-tank-3-feet-wide?...these-lights-seem-pretty-well-priced,-though-I'm-not-an-expert-on-lights......You'd-probably-pay-closer-to-$80-or-something-at-most-aquarium-stores.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Sorry for the late reply...

I have these lights but in 40w, and for a 20 gallon... they do great, but it does get hot in my canopy, and I have the lights sitting on little pegs it comes with, so its actually heated and bent my acrylic cover that it sits on. Had i known this I would have devised pegs that make it sit a bit higher. I don't screw mine into the canopy hood, I just let it sit on the acrylic lid. It's not made that great either, I've had some issues with it turning off, but since I have mine on timer I really don't touch it except to move it for water changes. And yes, if u can control the lunar light separately this would be great, mine just turn on together with one switch.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The-light-says-it-can't-be-used-under-a-hood-or-canopy-due-to-cooling-issues.......An-exaust-fan-would-fix-that.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i guess i could always just get them and if they dont work send them back...

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I've actually pulled the back off my canopy to allow room for the filters, and this allows the canopy to remain cool as well... i don't seem to have any issues with it so far, it doesn't get that hot under the canopy, rather just right under the light. A fan wouldn't hurt though.

lighting/ hood question

12 posts • Page 1 of 2