advice- what is the best filter system available?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

kayleigh

by kayleigh

Hi there,
i have had my tank now for about 2 years and i have always stuck to fluval filtration sytems, i upgraded the size of my tank about a year ago it is now roughly 2 feet in length, but rather than just upgrading to a larger filter i felt that their wasn't enough air flow in the tank so i left both filters in my larger tank. i only have 4 neons, 2 catfish, 1 tetra and 5 platys, but yet i am stil needing to change both filters everyweek as they clog up quick, i have tried changing the sponges inside and using brushes to clean the filters more thoroughly but same thing!

so any suggestions on best possible filters and where i can purchase them from would be greatly appreciated!

getwithit

by getwithit

i recently start a 55 gallon tank and have a large bio-wheel that is supposed to accomodate up to a 75 gal tank along with a small undergravel filter with powerhead about a quater tank legth on the opposite side of the tank.....the ciculation of the water is GREAT to say the least my water is crystal clear without a whole lot of maintenance, and no clogs in the slightest. i've seen the fluvals and actually wasn't very impressed for their price. i have a penguin 350 to clear up the "bio-wheel"... now i need to get a background to cover it up :-).

kayleigh

by kayleigh

Thanks very much for your advice so where bouts did you get this filter from then? As from what you have described it sounds very high tech

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

My fluval type (Rena Filstar XP3 175 gal cap) filter gets clogged up quickly as well. Sometimes I've put a sponge filter over the intakes and it makes cleaning easier. I clean the main filter sponges less and just pop the sponge off the intakes and rinse them in the sink in between main filter cleanings.
Last edited by Peterkarig3210 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

prskiller

by prskiller

I like the Penguin Bio-wheel Filters. I bought a 2 of them, new, on ebay and they were a lot cheaper than the retail price.

subymanny04

by subymanny04

you cant go wrong with a bio wheel. i have a 55 gallon fish tank and im running a emperor 80 gallon bio wheel and a top fin 60 gallon regular filter and it works amazing, i get no clogging anymore and no more overflowing of the filter that i use to get with the top fin 60 gal alone. plus having a bio wheel maximizes the good bacteria in ur tank that help eat away and destroy wastes as well.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

Go with an aquaclear 300(70) never clogs and has tons of area for filter media

7 posts