30 Gallon Tank Update

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Sumthing_Fishy

30 Gallon Tank Update

by Sumthing_Fishy

Hi. I finally got all the million+ snails out of the tank and took most of the decorations out and transferred to the 125 tank. This is the home for now for all of the female mollies, guppies, and platies except for a few male platies that jumped in the net after a female. I have a few more platies to get out of the newer tank, but it has settled down a lot with the breeding. It is not as overstocked as before, but still way too many in the 30 gallon. It surprised me, I rinsed one hand full of gravel under water letting the snails fall between fingers, and then raking with 1 finger the gravel from the other hand looking for snails until all the gravel was rinsed and free of snails. Then had to rinse the rocks/stones of snail eggs, scrubbed the driftwood that was a pain to clean because I had to get a knife wrapped in papertowel and get in each groove for snail eggs and a few snails that blended in the dark color of the wood, scrubbed the undergravel filter and pipes to it and took off the cartridge because snails had got in there, took the water filter pump apart and cleaned the inside of it, rinsed the biofilter and replaced the cartridge, and then scrubbed the glass with a little vinager and water and sprayed with powerful showerhead and put everything back, filled with water and water treatment, and the tank came out crystal clear and looks brand new, and makes my new 125 look nasty now.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/enlarge.php/18825

The cat in the picture thinks it is new and has claimed this one, he had to get up there and park it. Maybe he can make those livebearers behave now and guard for snails.

I have a question, when I get rid of the platies, guppies, and mollies, and get a couple of oscars, what other tankmate would go with them?

Thank you all.

Michele

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Daaamn and there's still a butt ton of fish in there. lol
Sorry but I'm not the resident cichlid expert, or even wannabe expert, or even remote expert...ehm, you get the point, eh?
I hope the guard-cat works out for ya.

Sumthing_Fishy

by Sumthing_Fishy

Thats not even half of them. Giving them a rest for now until I get the rest out of the other tank. Probably 400+ of them total.

30 Gallon Tank Update

3 posts