help with my 10 gallon

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

milky648

help with my 10 gallon

by milky648

K the oscare is in the 125 now i have nothing in that tank besides bog wood finaly suck anywho i hade ammonia and nitrite in my tank got ridte of nitrite and ammona did a water change and the ammoia was like dark ornge could it be from the dead white could stuck in the filter?

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

there was a lot of mis puntuation.. I don't understand what your asking?

platipus12321

by platipus12321

umm we will help, we just cant understand what you are trying to ask.

milky648

by milky648

k sorry i have dark amonia in my tank no nitrite its like 7.3 ph is at 7.2 i cleand out the pump couse i did have dead fish in there , cange 50% water i just tested the ammonia and its dark like brouwn help howd do i get rid of it

Ryule1105

by Ryule1105

K guys, he's having a serious ammonia problem, sounds like it was caused by a dead fish in his pump/filter. He's asking how to remove a huge amount of ammonia quickly. He's already done a 50% water change by the sounds of it.

My advice is to get anything in that tank out right now into some kind of temporary container. If your ammonia levels are as high as they are, nothing will live in that for long. The best way to remove excess ammonia is water changes, and apparently that didn't help. I'd assume you have something dead or rotting in the tank somewhere.

When was the last time you siphoned the gravel in your tank? All sorts of nasty things could be in there. That'd be a good place to start.

I'm not sure whats causing such a big spike in your tank, but it has to be coming from somewhere. You need to find that source and get rid of it. And for the love of god, get the fish out of there, They will die if they stay in there long. If the tank is already empty, I suggest completely ripping it apart and starting over. If it has fish living in it... well, you need to find somewhere for those fish to live while you clean that tank!

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

ammonia spike could be from many things, we need more info on how you maintain your tank. How many fish you keep, what type, which filters u use, how often you water change, how often u vacuum and how well u vacuum, any live plants?, and how much you feed and how often.

The more info the better milky. For now, do 10-15% water change a day until ammonia goes down.

milky648

by milky648

OK , sorry for not understanding me.

OK I have bog wood in my tank i have3 picesin my tank , I have 2 filters going ,1 min pegunin filter, then i also have a aqua clear filter 10 to 30 gallons . In my aqua clear pump i put a fiter in ther to bring down the ammonia , i did have fedders in my tank and a 2 of my feeders (minos) got sucked up the pump and i did clean it out. Right now i have 12 feder guppies in the tank. I usualy do water changes every week , one day just water then the next week i do a gravel clean. Im going to do a 30% water change today and check my ph and amonia bevore i clean and after, ill let you know how it went . Oh and im taking my bog wood out as well my tank is brown , and ther water logd.

And sorry again for not speaking clear i was in a rush.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Th-water-is-brown-from-the-wood........It-won't-hurt-your--fish,-and-as-your-pH-is-around-7.0-I'd-leave-it-in........After-a-few-months-of-water-changes-the-wood-won't-leach-tannins-anymore......

Ammonia-doesen't-have-a-color....You'll-have-to-use-a-test-kit-or-bring-water-to-an-aquarium-store-for-testing.

If-you-really-don't-like-the-brown,-which-actually-can-be-good-for-the-water,-soak-the-wood-or-best-yet-boil-it-for-a-few-hours......If-you-soak-it-in-cold-water-it'll-take-months,-so-try-boiling-it-for-a-few-hours........Personally,-I'd-leave-it-in-the-tank-and-the-water-will-clear-up-after-a-while......

Sometimes-it-only-takes-a-couple-weeks-for-the-water-to-stay-clear.....PK..

milky648

by milky648

Well wen i tested my ph was at 6.0 . and the amonia actualy came down to 0.6 ,I did take out the wood i didnt like it i did soake it for ever.After I did a water change my ph is now at 7.0 and i tested the amonia and it went dark , 7.3 is ornge for amonia ppm, mg/l but it went like dark brown . So really i dont know how bad it really is?!?!?!?!? MY question is why did it go back up? i aslo put water clearafier in could that of mad the amonia go up??? Sorry i never hade this prblem bevore

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Are-you-sure-it's-ammonia-that's-7.0?....That-sounds-like-pH.......What-kind-of-test-kit-do-you-have?....If-it's-a-test-tube-kind-like-mine-and-you-have-brown-then-that's-really-bad.......I-can't-immagine-that-there-would-be-ammonia-in-the-tap-water..........Are-you-using-Ammo-Chips?....These-are-either-sold-seperatly-like-charcoal-and-can-be-used-mixed-with-charcoal,-and-it-also-comes-pre-mixed-with-charcoal.....

Keeping-the-source-of-ammonia-to-a-minimum-by-feeding-as-little-as-possible,-as-you-seem-to-be-doing,-continuing-with-frequent-water-changes,-using-ammonia-absorbing-material,-and-aerating-the-tank-as-much-as-possible-should-get-your-cycle-right.....

The-ammonia-should-have-come-down-after-a-water-change,-so-unless-you're-doing-somthing-you-don't-realize,-maybe-you-should-test-the-tap-water-to-see-where-pH,-ammonia-etc-levels-are.

I-would-really-really-feed-less-and-clean-the-gravel-with-a-siphon-type-gravel-cleaner-really-well.

I-clean-my-gravel-in-non-planted-tanks-by-using-my-hand-and-stiring-up-the-muck-from-the-gravel-with-the-intention-of-making-the-water-as-filthy-as-possible....Get-into-the-corners-and-all-the-way-to-the-bottom-to-bring-the-gunk-into-the-water.....Then-you-can-do-a-huge-water-change-and-get-a-lot-of-the-gunk-out.......The-other-way-is-to-make-the-water-all-filthy-as-I-said,-and-to-wait-about-15-minutes-till-the-gunk-settles-on-the-surface,-and-then-you-can-siphon-the-top-of-the-gravel-and-get-much-gunk-out-that-way.

I-forget-what-you-have-as-fish,-but-some-fish-can-go-for-a-long-time-without-eating.....Unless-by-some-weird-reason-you-have-ammonia-in-your-tap-water,-there-must-be-somthing-rotting-in-your-tank,-and-excess-food-and-or-fish-poop-and-or-dead-plants-are-the-only-source.

If-the-ammonia-really-is-7.0-you're-in-critical-condition.....You'll-have-to-fix-it-or-lose-it.......Good-luck!......PK

help with my 10 gallon

15 posts • Page 1 of 2