Red Pencilfish

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

jorivesud

Red Pencilfish

by jorivesud

Anyone has Ruby Red Pencilfish in their tank.
Are they easy to keep?
How active are they?
Which zone of the tank do they occupy (top, middle, bottom, all)?
How many do you have?

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

i did some basic research on the rrp, they generally do well with several females and one male, their temper is much like that of a betta, like the male betta the male rrp can be provoked into displaying it's full color and fins with a mirror, it is not recommended to keep more than one male together unless you are keeping more than several females, as disputes can and will break out and they will fight with each other. one male to 4 females should be a perfect ratio, or one male alone, if you have a male and one female the male could get aggressive with wanting to breed and accidentally injure the female, although they are a more peaceful fish and should be kept with fish of the same size in a community tank. also from what i have read they will swim all over the tank but mainly near cover for fast and easy escape should something frighten them. i do not have any personally but i think they are an awesomely colored fish and would be perfect in a group as a primary display fish for a tank.
Hope this helps,
Brandon

jorivesud

by jorivesud

Thanks for the reply. I also found similar info. I still would be interested on first hand exerience if anyone has some. I know they are not easy to get and I could get some now, not cheap though. I was thinking of getting 5 or 6.

Red Pencilfish

3 posts