Ideas for DIY lighting/etc

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Do you think plants rely more on...

Ferts
11%
Lighting
67%
CO2
22%

Total votes : 9

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

As some of you know, I have a 16 gallon tall bowfront which is approx 19" wide. The best possible solution for an upgrade to the standwad 15w 18" bulb seems to be nothing less than 24" from what I've researched and noticed. Is this my only option? Do I need to have an open-top tank? That's really unfavorable for me since I have shrimp that like to hop out on the livingroom floor. :(
I'm starting to notice now more than ever that even though much of my plant growth is sustainable, green and lush...the growth RATE is incredibly slow once the plant becomes established and seems to take in all the nutrients in its 'juvenile' state, and then abruply the 'spurt' is over. Java Fern and Moss obviously don't need an upgrade, even at >1 wpg, and I don't really care or have need/want for my Amazon sword to grow any HUGER-ER-ER than it already is, but things like my microsword and Corkscrew Vals are now growing like less than a mm per week, and the overall color of my entire tank is incredibly dark, I guess partially due to the tannic acid staining my sand slightly darker than the original color. Anyway, any ideas for options? I'm not concerned with ferts as my tank is overstocked, this seems to keep the plants healthy at least, or Co2 for that matter. I think if I have 2-3wpg of lighting the growth will improve a lot. Particularly on my foreground microsword which is filling in about as fast as a man's head of hair on rogaine.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

So...does anyone have experience with DIY lighting? -.-

Ryule1105

by Ryule1105

I'd personally would just go for a larger light. There isn't a problem with resting it on your glass top (assuming you have one). Sure, it'll hang over, but the 24" will illuminate the whole tank very well and give you the wattage. Though, I'm sure that if you looked around, you could find lighting tops that have two sockets, allowing you to essentially double the wattage in the tank. Likewise, at larger retailers, you might find high intensity bulbs in that size. I'm almost certain they exist.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I would get a SHO screw in fluorescent aquarium plant bulb. There's a few different kinds, but the best I think is like $31.99 for the 85 watt and $35.99 for the 105 watt. The 12 inch reflector is $10 and the bulbs screw into any incandescent bulb outlet. I want a few myself as they're supposed to be really great for plants and will be great for a 16 gallon. It could probably sit right on top of your tank. Look it up by typing SHO aquarium light.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Thanks for the advice guys. I was starting to think this would just be buried forever. lol
I think I found something on ebay yesterday finally the fixture is 18" but the seller claims that he only has marine bulbs to fit it, and that none of his FW bulbs are meant for an 18" fixture. What exactly is the proper word for the ''reflector housing'' or wth ever its called? Light bulb holdem thingamajigger...w/e. Yeah so I got real excited when I saw it and real disappointed when I saw the chart. After hours searching online ebay is the only place I was able to even locate an 18" fixture to support HO bulbs. Obviously they make them cause there's one on my tank. Just no dual bulb or HO.
I'll check out the SHO lights, PK, but 85w is almost double what I'm looking for (2x24 or so). 48 would put me right at 3wpg, and probably make my msword spread like the plague.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The less powerful would probably work fine for you I guess, but in my limited experience with good lights I am leaning toward erring on the too much rather than too little light, because there can be light lost when the glass on the top of the tank gets dirty and has dried water minerals deposits on it.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Ok PK, here's the item I'm looking at on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0155965467

If you look at the chart most of the way down it shows that moddel #1136 still supports a dual bulb setup, but is only for saltwater cause it will only support actinic as a second bulb. When looking further down the chart at the freshwater models they aren't even available in 18". The seller never replied to my question over a week ago in reference to whether or not the freshwater T5HO's could be used in this 18". Do you think I'd just be better off going with your SHO lighting, or do you suppose there's a chance this chart is a bit off?
What would be my best source to buy SHO online? I found 2 that supplied the wattage you were speaking of and a couple of different ways to hang them. The round looking shoplight/UFO (lol)/um, set on top 12" diameter really isn't what I want aesthetically. Maybe my pickiness will lead me to stick with 15w forever. -.-
As far as overkill in wattage I'm not really concerned. I'd rather spend less money on the electric bill and more time using vinegar to clear off the mineral/salt/nasty deposits that collect on my glass hood, which I do about as often as I thin my plants which is usually monthly.
48 watts would be FAR more then this tank has EVER seen.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I bought one of those Nova lights and it didn't give me enough light to grow high light plants. It's onlyabout 5 inches wide if that. Maybe 2 of them would be OK. I'd go for something more powerful personally. I'm also using a duel 95 watt fixture with one old bulb and one new. I'm not an expert on lights, but ifyou go with the Nova, which is nicely built, get 2. I was able to find one with a white and a pink bulb.

thisfish884485

by thisfish884485

Would it be impossible to use two lights? For my old 30 gallon I used two 15 watt lightsI put on a glass top

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You-could-as-long-as-they-fit-and-you-have-adequate-cooling,-either-with-a-fan-or-by-elevating-the-lights-a-couple-inches-to-allow-heat-to-escape........Some-lights-don't-warm-up-very-much,-but-once-I-was-using-a-non-aquarium-light-I-came-home-to-HOT-water-and-a-few-dead-fish.

13 posts • Page 1 of 2