coldwater to tropical

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

zebrad

coldwater to tropical

by zebrad

Hi, i have a new cycled coldwater tank with 5 zebra danios, would i be able to add a heater and slowly raise the temperature to accommodate tropical fish? Thanks

darkruby

by darkruby

Well, this practice is not uncommon among fish stores or breeding centers but to do this at home is somthing I have not heard of... Fish usually are content with the water they were practically born to like coldwater tropical but it is possible to aclimate them into warm tropical water but this could be a stress on the fish. It could also make them prone to disease for a while but, If done over a HUGE amount of time it COULD be done but I do not recommend this for they will be happier in what they are set for.
To give you an example. Say you have lived in the arctic for a long period of your life, then all of a sudden the arctic starts to slowly turn into a tropical rainforest. What you were once used to is no longer there and you will have to deal with a climate that will probly be very uncomfortable.

Thats just how it might be for your Zebra Danios. I might recearch them later....

darkruby

by darkruby

Well, I did do some recearch and it turns out they can aclimate to water temperatures that are higher than what is said BUT when aclimmating them you should do it slowly and need to make sure that the water stays at the temperature you want them to aclimate to.
Maybe 1 degree every week or two weeks will be best so you do not stress them out.

zebrad

by zebrad

Thanks for the info, i'm thinking of a 6 degree increase over the next 2 or 3 months.
i have done a bit of research and Danios seem to be able to live in cold water or tropical, i will try, taking it slowly and keeping a close eye on my fish.

zebrad

by zebrad

8 degree

darkruby

by darkruby

Sounds good to me.

coldwater to tropical

6 posts