Types of Nice Moss?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Serial324556

Types of Nice Moss?

by Serial324556

Hey I am planning on getting some moss for my 29gallon tank. I was wondering what kind you guys/gals recommend that looks nice but isn't too expensive. I have 2 nice peices of driftwood I would like to put it on and put randomly around my tank. I have 2 17watt flourescent bulbs which I know is def. enough for moss.

I was also wondering if there were any recommended sites that sells moss thats not too expensive. Both lfs's near me do not sell moss.

-Serial

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Java moss is the only one I'm familiar with and I like it very much. It grows differently with height amounts of light, a bit like a fern, and will attach well to wood if tied down for a while.

It can get long and rangy if the fish don't keep it pruned and it easily gets gunk caught in it, so unless your fish do it for you it's good to keep it pruned shortish by tearing away the long stuff.

It also grows well as a free floating clump.

Serial324556

by Serial324556

I've been looking around on ebay. They have many different types of moss labeled as java moss. Do you know the scientific name of the java moss. I've also been to a few sites that argue which java moss is the real java moss.

Wow I said java moss way too many times.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

No. I know that "moss balls" are different than Java moss, though I've noticed the Petco sells java moss wrapped up to look like a moss ball, but they're obviously not true moss balls because java moss looks very different. There are a few pics on my profile that have what I know as java moss growing on wood.

gumbii

by gumbii

i have moss balls... they're great... they get huge and when they do you chop them up and make new balls... but... it doesn't cover the tank or anything... you could get alot of them after a wile and just have them sitting on the bottom of the tank...

in my opinion, that moss is the nicest looking moss... it's velvety to the touch, and is a nice green all around... also very easy to make it reproduce... just put it in a cup and pee in it... lol... or throw some amonia, but urine works way better... then it will release hundreds of spores that attach themselves to everything in the aquarium, and thrive untill they are ready to turn into ball and roll around the tank...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Some of the most sought after moss in the aquarist trade, unforunately not nearly as readily available or popular as java moss --- Christmas Moss. Gorgeous stuff, I haven't been able to get my hands on any.
http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com ... lbum1.html
It's a bit more aesthetically pleasing than java, as it has more of a leaf pattern, and doesn't tend to just kind've sprawl a limb here and there.
Oh and I almost forgot. Fissidens. There's Zipper Moss and Phoenix Moss. Phoenix looks cooler to me.
http://www.aquamoss.net/Fissidens-fonta ... ntanus.htm

As far as the moss balls, they're called marimo balls and are supposed to compete with algae, as they are not actually moss, but a non-invasive form of algae that forms a ball which is hollow on the inside. They're really cool, but not real practical for creating a 'scape', more for being a part of one. Search marimo on youtube and you can probably find some vids of them pearling---I wish mine would. Stupid light.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That Christmas moss looks like the Java moss I have, the way it grows off wood, with co2 and 3-4 watts per gallon light. I like that Fissidens "Pheonix" moss though. I don't see that at stores in my area.

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Yeah I like the look of the Christmas moss. It gives a nice cushiony look and def. gives it a more eco-look. If ya understand what I'm sayin haha.
I think i'll invest in some of that.
Know of any cheap sites I might be able to get it from?

Types of Nice Moss?

8 posts