Fishless cycling

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

amix16

Fishless cycling

by amix16

I am new to the hobby and the site, and I have already been misled many times from many "experts" who have been telling me when it is fine to put fish in, etc... I have done a great a deal of research and I have decided to do fishless cycling. I have a 26 gallon tank with only gravel in it, and the tank is 1 week old. I am putting STABILITY in the water every day, which adds beneficial bacteria, and I have also used PRIME once. I am wondering if there is anything else that I need to put in the tank to be cycled properly or if stability is enough...How long is the cycling process if done this way? The ammonia level is at a constant 1ppm for 1 week, and my tests do not indicate traces of nitrite or nitrate. I don't know what to expect and at what times of the cycling process. Any help is greatly appreciated!

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I am not familiar with the product Stability... and i know there is a really good article on fishless cycle in the article section here. Also, it won't hurt to add food to the water as if you are feeding, this will help build your ammonia up to the point where beneficials can grow. You won't see nitrites for a few weeks, until your ammonia peaks, and this is short lived until you see nitrates... so give it some time. Many people here will give you great advice, just wait for them to chime in

miami754

by miami754

You don't need to be using that product. Just buy regular old ammonia at the store. It will be a whole lot cheaper and will grow bacteria just fine. I wrote an article in the articles section (thanks for saying it was good Spongebob) that walks you through a step by step process of how to do a fishless cycle. I would suggest looking at it and then asking if you have any more questions. To cycle a tank from scratch generally takes 4-6 weeks. The ammonia generall spikes after a week or so. Then it takes the nitrites 3-4 weeks to spike. Welcome to the site, by the way.What kind of fish are you putting in there once it is cycled?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

whoops i guess i was off with the timing... i was thinking of my cycle period using fish.

amix16

by amix16

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking about keeping a good mix of fish, not too aggressive or too calm. What do you think I should start out with?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I personally would start with your favorite fish, or the fish you think you will like best, and then choose fish that are compatible with this fish. Otherwise you will end up with compatibility issues later.

Fishless cycling

6 posts