Really need help sort of off topic

31 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Well the Betta died today. I really hoped he would make it, some fish are pets. I checked on him this morning before leaving for the day and I knew he was dying but I had already done everything I could. When I came home he was dead. This might sound silly to some of you, but if I knew how, I would have euthanized him this morning. Is there a way to humanely put down a fish?

Zambize

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i believe there is in the article section, sorry for your loss

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

so sorry for your loss, i really do know what you mean when you talk about losing a pet, they truly are pets and not just a fish.

on a bit of a darker note, if i see that a fish is not going to make it i usually put it in a bag with water in it and put it in the freezer as the temp cools the fish gets groggy and then goes to sleep, and once it's frozen you can then take it from the freezer and bury it in your yard somewhere, i have a rose in front of my moms house that i use for the special fish that i have, they go under the rose bush.
thoughts are with ya.
Brandon

miami754

by miami754

Sorry for your loss, Zambize. I know the fish meant alot to you.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Wow, my apologies to all, I underestimated your sensitivity. I'm buying Finquel tonight, the stuff you put in water, the fish swims around, goes to sleep, then it's heart stops. Sounds like cat/dog euthanasia and I've witnessed hundreds of those (long story). I wouldn't provide any less to a fish, if I have the ability, which I wish I had had for Finley this morning.

I really had no idea there were any serious, documented methods for fish euthanasia. The artiicle was very helpful, never would have found that. I feel better knowing the answer and having the knowledge/ability to handle this next time. Off to buy Finquel...

(I've buried a few fish too...sshhhh) I seem to get more attached to Bettas, so far. Anyone partial to a species like that?

Zambize

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Oh! I feel bad about your fish. Was it the one you used to have as an avatar?

I also euthanize my fish in the freezer when I see one with a terminal condition.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Yep, he was my avatar and his picture reached #2 out of #3500 freshwater fish pictures. He's famous!

I read about the freezer technique. I don't think I can do that, it's too far removed from any familiar environment for the fish, IMO. It also isn't approved by the AVMA, not that that always means something. I went with the Finquel because the fish is naturally swimming in water, and he goes to sleep. While he's asleep his heart stops. Very similar to how cats and dogs are euthanized. They are actually put to literal sleep first, then their heart is stopped. Very calm and peaceful, no signs of stress.

Maybe I'm just comfortable with the general method. It seems like the very best I can do, and that lets me sleep at night. Not to be too touchy feely. :)

But if I get really sick, just shoot me.

Zambize

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

may the memory of Finley live forever in the minds of fish lovers evrywhere Zam..... your right, he is famous............my daughter wants a Betta tank.....and ot one of those "wal-mart" fish either ....lol because of the pics I showed her of your tanks a while back.................so feel good that you have encouraged people to take care of Bettas and not just put em in a cup for a month and watch them slowly perish ......................

Thank you ...Snowboss

janus

by janus

Same thing happened to me two weeks ago except my Betta (R.I.P.) had only one big spot. All other fish seem to be ok. But he died. I thought he is the toughest and I will have him for years but he is gone. And the interesting thing is I bought an another Betta same looking but my barbs nearly killed him. They never bothered the other one but this one they ripped his fins and tail to shreds in less than five hours.j

Really need help sort of off topic

31 posts • Page 3 of 4