Anyone know where I can find a part for my tank?

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I want a glass cover for my new 36 gallon bow front tank. I can only find rectangular covers. It came with a black plastic cover that is ok, but it looks cheap and I will have to find a way to cut the back of it to accommodate my need for a larger filter. It has a piece you can punch out, but that's still not big enough. Too much trouble for an ugly plastic cover. I've searched a bit on the internet and can't find a glass bow front cover. Ideas?

Zambize

miami754

by miami754

I guess you could go to a glass store and have them cut you one. I have never had a bow front so I have not had this problem, but that is at least one solution.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Thanks Miami...I was hoping that they're available because my smaller bow front came with one so I was thinking maybe as replacement parts they might be around. I'll keep the glass shop in mind though.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

zambize, easy way to do this, go to the home depot or any large hardware store and buy a piece of plexi glass that's a little bigger than the tank you have then get a coping saw or a small saw that you can use to custom cut the plexi glass to your liking, pretty easy to do and you can even drill a hole in it in the front and slide a small wooden peg into the whole and glue it there, or you can glue a little ornament to it so that you can lift it when needed, works best if you cut one piece for the front of the tank as the bow, then cut a second piece you can slide in behind it, and it's done, the second piece can be cut to accommodate the filter you want to put on the back of it, and your light can sit right on top of it. all for about an hours worth of work and around a 10$ expense, looks as good as glass, less expensive.
Brandon

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

if you really wanted to spruce it up and have a hinge on there you can get a strip of piano hinge for around 5 bucks and glue that to the plexi

snowboss

by snowboss

another option is to go ahead and buy the factory made rectangle glass flip lid and then cut a piece of plexy to fit in the arched curve area at the front of the tank......and just leave it sit in the grove and then you can flip the lid up just behind the plexi...................Boss

snowboss

by snowboss

had a buddy do the same thing on a 90 gallon wave front tank....worked perfectly

zambize

by zambize

And you think a girlyish girl can do all this sawing and gluing? LOL Actually, I love any excuse to buy a new tool, and I don't have a coping saw...

The plexiglass is a good idea because I have to be super careful with the glass top on my other bow front tank to not break or chip it when I'm moving or cleaning it. It would be nice to not worry about that.

Zambize

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Just be warned, i cut my hand open trying to saw pieces of plexi that I bought from home depot... they wouldn't cut it for me over here. So be careful.

I personally would try ebay first, for a piece that exact size... i would imagine the curve angle is the hardest to find already matching your tank. Even making one to match the curve seems like a task. Unless you use the plastic one as a guide.

Second idea... email the manufacturer of your tank and ask them for one.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

zambize, i think going with the plexi is a great idea, i am actually doing that for a 55 gal tank i just picked up for 40$ from a friend, he moved and had no place for it so i took the tank, am going to use it as a breeding setup for the discus should they get to that point. if you take the lid that you have and use a sharpy marker and outline the bow from the top you have onto the plexi it will give you the right size to cut.
Brandon,
ps be extremely careful plexy even though it's plastic can still cut you like spongebob said.

15 posts • Page 1 of 2