high phosphate in fishtank ?

46 posts • Page 3 of 5

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The biggest is a foot long. I just went back to school and graduated as a registered respiratory therapist and I'm going through a hassle trying to get hired at a local hospital. I'll be able to put the money into this next 3 foot wide tank within a few months or so.

As I'm still going to be in my apartment for probably a year I'm planning to make the biggest possible tank that will still fit through a door. I think 3 feet wide will work. That will probably have the front and sides being glass and the rest thick plywood sealed with a special non-toxic epoxy.

Eventually I hope to make a square tank with each side being about 8 feet wide, but it's just a fantasy now. I'm thinking of what would be the nicest environment for these fish I hope to have for at least 10 years. I don't know how long they live, but I imagine at least ten years, and I want it nice and wide so they have no restriction as they swim around.

The 300 plus gallon tank will be a project for the fall.

It's so fun feeding these guys, though I should limit the food to a reasonable amount so I have time to build these tanks. I'm 42 now, and I hope to own a home at some point in my life so my son can have a good place to grow up. It's either going to be some place near the coast in northern CA, Oregon, or Washington, or I may move back to Ithaca NY to be close to my parents as they get into their retirement years.

It's when I have my own home that I plan to build the huge square tank. That and a room sized N-scale railroad too.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

pk lots of hospitals in ny and buffalo has a resp therapy wing, so does highland hosp in rochester. you may want to look into those as it's hard to find qualified workers in this area. most move out west.... lol
tank sounds awesome, eventually i want to have a walk under tank setup, one whole all with a doorway arched to go from one room to the next, will have a second story stepdown so i can actually clean the tank, although if i set something that big up i will probably hire someone to come do it for me, am thinking discus lightly planted with rock shoals for the tetra. figured it to be somewhere around 1000 gallons or so. have it designed on paper just have to have a house so i can incorporate the design.
Brandon

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

oh and back to the food part, miami you are absolutely correct about the vegi diet, i totally forgot to look at the types of fish he/she is keeping. if the larger varieties, or even south americans for the most part are omnivore, the smaller varieties love love love romaine. don't buy iceberg lettuce as it's not even nutritious for humans. all water.. romaine lettuces and other leafy greens are great for smaller cichlids, also great for bigger cichlids as most will dine well and get the nutrients they wont from all pure protein based foods.

sorry about not noticing the breeds of fish.
Brandon

milky648

by milky648

well wen i bought thoes tow they just said ther africans asoorted but i know the yellow one is a yellow lab elertric yellow lab the ornage or red one im not to sure

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

the orange one is probably a red zebra, these two in that case are more vegitarian. you will want to feed them flake food with a higher concentrate of spirulina, more so than crude protein. also veggies, cucumber, lettuces, and other leafy greens.

miami754

by miami754

Yep, just like Brandon said. The orange guy is probably a red zebra if you got him out of an assorted tank. If you post pic we could tell you for sure. Also as a side note, you may want to be a little careful about buying things out of the assorted tank. These fish are often hybrids and you have no idea what they have been mixed with. It can really change their behavior and make it hard to predict (which is very important with cichlids). I would recommend in the future finding a store that separates the actual species and lists them by name. I know it doesn;t help you now and you are probably fine, but it is something to think about in the future.

milky648

by milky648

well its still good to know couse with africans cichilids it self im new with ive been doing it for 2 1/2 yers but still lerning all ther names , ill post a pic . I have an other question u guys know i have a 10 gallon and a baby oscare in ther and i know hes gonna out grow it hes only in ther bc otherwise hes gonna die in my other tank so wen he out groes it ill take him ou, anywho my question is what sould i put in the tank? or what sould i us it for im not gonna get more fish for the 125 if so big ones , i was thingking of puting real plants in with bog wood and neones or just a betta fish or small comunitifish what u guys think ,.:)

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

i think if you want an outstanding tank, set up a nano planted aquarium with a piece of odd looking bog wood, i think it would be awesome. with the tank being short you can get some of the tougher to grow lower growing plants for ground cover and then have some moss and anubias on the bog wood, then put about ten neons in there with a snail and maybe a corydora or two, that would put you at max but it would be an awesome site to see. all green and lush with the neons contrasting the green in the tank...
just a thought.
Brandon

milky648

by milky648

u know what that would look good

milky648

by milky648

k i put pics up of those africnas

high phosphate in fishtank ?

46 posts • Page 3 of 5