tank update

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Poetic_Irony2267

tank update

by Poetic_Irony2267

Just wanted to post that i have three new arrivals to Poetic irony planted tank, three new discus and a whole lot less money in the bank, 2, 5 inch Marlboro red discus, and one 7 inch Blue Diamond Discus, all are absolutely flawless in color and composition, as i write this i am watching them acclimate to their new home the other three discus i have had for awhile are a bit smaller than these new ones however they immediately started palling around with the new ones and are hopefully going to start schooling up on a normal basis, at this point i am at my limit on fish in the tank and unless something horrid happens (lets all knock on wood) or something miraculous (they start breeding) i am not going to purchase anymore fish, and am at my peak as far as plants go, i did a trim and cut back and replant last night that lasted almost two hours, had to trim the dead and or dieing leaves also trim off and replant some of the babies and new growth from some of the plants, made sure tank was perfect for new arrivals, ph 6.5, nitrites 0, ammonia 0, nitrates around 5ppm. temp steady at 84 degrees, did decrease the temp in the overnight to make sure that i didn't shock the new comers, as well as to make keep optimum health for the other tank mates. will post pictures later this week once everyone has had a chance to settle in, don't want to stress the new ones out with the flash and or me being right up on the tank as they have just moved in.
Brandon

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Waiting eagerly to see that 7" fellar, or femlar.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

i should have new pics by the end of the week of all three new ones, the blue diamond seems to have acclimated much more rapidly than the two marlboros, as they stay hidden for the most part, did not want to do it but i had to, moved some of my plants around and moved the one end of my drift wood forward a little bit, the mother amazon sword over grew some of my more high light need plants and had to move them out and over a bit put some of the anubias nana down underneath the swords as they aren't as needy for light, i think this will work out wll, unfortunately i had to do this only 24 hours after adding the new fish so lights out now and am waiting for the tank to settle and the stress level to drop some before i try taking new pictures. lol planted tanks are a lot of work but very well worth it. and this one plant i am sooooo still not sure what it is but it grows about two feet every three days i clip it back replant the clipped part and it grows right back to the top and starts trailing across the tank, will look great once i have it all along the back of the tank, after that i will start making bunches and taking them to the lfs for sale.... thanks for the response.
Brandon

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Is it an onion plant? I'm guessing as obvious as the identification is its probably not, cause I'm sure you'd know better than most. :) Just what it sounded like to me, as I know they grow incredibly fast especially given the proper conditions, and also send a trail across the top of the tank much like corkscrew val, but much faster. I'm not sure even onion plants are known to grow 2' every 3 days. That's pretty amazing. lol

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

no deff not an onion plant but i do have two of those, the plant is related to the cobamba family however it's not regular cobamba this has two branches, alternating as it grows, every other set of branch facing north south, and the opposite sets facing east west, i clip it just above the branch sets and then those branch set grow out into full plants, it's rather amazing. i am almost tending to think it's a genaric pond/lake weed. but it looks great so either way.. the leaflets are small and cylindrical like a cobamba or foxtail, except thicker in mass i am going to take a close up of it and post it later this week to my photobucket and will post the link.
Brandon

tank update

5 posts