Moving Blood Parrot to slighty cooler tank...

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

NessFish

by NessFish

I have a 43 Gallon Freshwater tank and a 10 Galleon Tank as well which has been cycling for about a week.

Here is my question...

I have two Blood ParrortFish in the 43 Gallon Tank. An orange and a blue one. The Orange one I have had the longest and when I added the blue one I noticed he was aggressive with the other fish in my tank. I want to move him to the 10 Gallon tank which have no other fish but it is slightly a lil' cooler than the 43 Gallon as it has no heater. Is it ok to move him to the 10 Gallon Tank?

Thanks for any replies,
Ness

milky648

by milky648

Hello,

Well hes going from a 43 to a 10 gallon not a good idea maby for a littel while but i think u sould put a header in it he might get sick and how big is it? someone toled me to put the agressive in an other tank and then after like 3 days put that agressive fish back then he wont be so agressive, hell be a new fish again. if i where u id put a header in it., and dont leave him in ther long

NessFish

by NessFish

Thank you for your reply Milky. How big is the fish. Well he isn't very big at all...

This is a pic of him...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/d ... G_2711.jpg

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Hi Ness,

You could also try leaving a powerhead in the 10 gallon, this will raise the temp a bit. What kind of temp difference are you looking at? And which fish was the blue bullying, the goldfish? Also, if both tanks have only been cycling one week, then the temp difference is not the only shock that the blue will be going through as you move him to the smaller tank.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

miami754

by miami754

I am in no way trying to be mean, but it seems kind of silly to be talking about this when they are practically giving away 10 gallon heaters. Is there any particular reason why you don't want to buy one like are there cold water fish in there currently?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

good point miami

NessFish

by NessFish

Replying to Miami...
Ummmmmm first off as I said in my first post I have NO fish in the 10 gallon tank. When I did have fish in there they were fine without a heater then I moved all of them in a 43 Gallon tank. I would have no problem buying a heater for a 10 gallon tank. I don't think it silly to be talking about it at all.

Replying to Spongebob...

Well living in Florida the water temperature isn't really much of a diffrence. The 43 gallon tank is at 75 F right now which is a pretty good temp for that size tank. I dont have a temp strip set up on the 10 Gallon but just by juding from the feel of it I would say it is about 70 F.

My Orange Blood Parrot and my Fantail are the ones he bully's the most. They use to hang out at the front of the tank but now everytime they try to move up there the Blue runs them away. I haven't seen any damage but I am just worried about what might happen. I actually hand feed them so they all get a fair amount of food and sometimes I have to push the Blue away. He just seems to have taken over the tank.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Ness, I think what Miami implied is why subject your fish to the stress of a temp change, if you have access to a heater...

NessFish

by NessFish

I am sorry but I think he/she meant that I need to go out and buy one, which I have no problem doing. The heater I do have is in the 43 Gallon. I cannot move the heater out of the 43 Gallon into the 10 gallon just for one fish. In the beginning all I was asking was just in case I "needed" to move the Blue would it be ok. Miami also asked me if I had any fish in the 10 gallon and as I posted in my first post I had none and before giving advice he/she should really read the full question. I seriously don't think that just because I am a newbie with fish tanks my questions should be found silly.

Ness

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I think it was a misunderstanding, I can assure you Miami is one of the most helpful people in this forum, as well as one of the most respectful. I think the tone of their post came out the wrong way for you, I can assure you they only have the best intentions for your fish. We are probably already used to each others tones in here, so I can see how it was misunderstood.

And by no means is your question silly, I don't think it was meant that way... I personally wouldn't move a fish into a tank with no heater, unless i was forced to due to an attack or something by another fish. But temperature swings open the fish up to infections and sickness... so you always run that risk.

17 posts • Page 1 of 2