Reliable Fish Compatibility Information

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

zambize

by zambize

I can find fairly generic charts in many reliable places about fish compatibility, but I'd like something more detailed. For example, it's fine to know that Swordtails tend to work well with Platys and Mollies, but I want to know more about the male/female ratios recommended, and how about those Lyretails...do any of the others want to especially nip at those tempting fins? Another exception, I've heard the Dalmations can brood and be a little aggressive, true? I know there are no "for sure" answers about compatibility, but are there better sources out there?

Zambize

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

these forums :)

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I've asked a couple of times about compatibility but didn't get responses. I assumed no one wanted to go down in perpetuity as endorsing a compatibility. I've got room for a 1-4 more fish, depending. I have:

4 Guppies (did have 6 but 2 died)
3 Neon Tetras (did have a school but some died)
2 male Swordtails

I'm trying to keep a peaceful, beginner community tank. I would like a larger fish or two to balance my large/small ratio. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I've never had problems with bala sharks, but they get large and you'd have to move them eventually, not sure how they get along with guppies but you should do well with the others.

Keep in mind, you might get two larger fish that are compatible with swordtails, but have trouble when feeding time comes... you probably won't experience this if you add smaller fish like more tetras or guppies to the group, or even rasboras.

4 posts