Cichild Filtration

21 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Ames

Cichild Filtration

by Ames

Hey guys im new to this site, just wondering what everyone uses for filtration, I am about to set up a 6x2x2.5 and I was thinking of putting 2x fluval fx5? are most people using canister filters? ot sumps or something completley different?? would love any info!!

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

first, Welcome to the site!!!!!!!

Second your best bet is to find a reliable canister filter that will cycle double to triple your tank gallons, gph, gallons per hour, i am currently running a penn plax, cascade 1200, on my 125 gal tank, it's a little over double the gal, it cycles 300 gph which is perfect for my planted tank as it doesn't create too much current but creates just enough current. not only that it has large enough trays that the debris from leaf tear off and what not can get sucked in and caught for easy removal and cleaning. these are some things you will want to keep in mind, cichlids can benefit from higher current as they are serious swimmers and like to every once in awhile get some exercise i often use to watch my dempsey get up into the strongest part of the current, right near the return and swim into it, it seemed as if he it was like his little water tread mill. the larger the tank the larger the filter, and if you have a really nice setup you want to hide more of the equipment, in effect a canister filter will be your best bet, nothing hanging off the back of the tank and you can push the tank tighter to the wall.
Hope this helps.
Brandon

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, I would go with a canister. I currently have an Emperor 400 and a Penguin 100 HOB filters in my 58 gallon cichlid tank, but I am going to switch to a canister here soon. Brandon is right about the current - my cichlids love it. I have a rotating power head in the tank that they play with all the time. What kind of cichlids are you thinking of getting? If you are going to go with the more aggressive Africans, you will probably end up needing to overstock, which translates to the need for over filtration.

magomaev

by magomaev

I have eheim 2215 external canister for 72 gallon auarium. It was thinking to buy RENA XP3 and set ip up as a mechanical filter. At the same time to convert Eheim 2215 to biological filter.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've got 2 Rena Filtar xp3's and I love em. They were the biggest capacity filters for the cost I could find and 2 of those would be great for the big poopin cichlids I would think.

The Fluval didn't have as high a tank capacity as the largest Rena, and that's all I think matters as long as they're set up with stacking trays, and the Rena's a lot cheaper.

Ames

by Ames

I am wanting to keep africans, the aggressive kind!! I have been doing some research, and I have a spare 5ft tank that I could convert to a sump? and then have a canister as well, for extra filtration but also a backup? any thoughts on that idea? also what would be the best layout for a sump and what sort filtration to put in there??

milky648

by milky648

i have a qestion i have a 125 gallon and im running a 404 fluvel canester filter and 2 air pumps toghter puting air blubbel in like devided so they come out differnt areas sould i have an other pump in ther? is my filter to small?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I don't know about the suggested tank size a Fluval 404 is rated for, but it depends on how stocked your tank is, how much you feed, and whether there are live plants or not. I always way overdo the filtration, but that's just me.

magomaev

by magomaev

milky. For 125 g tank fluval 404 is kind of small. It is good for aquariums up to 100 gallons. I would buy another filter...You could set one filter as mechanical and the other one as biological...I am a big fan of rena xp3

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yea Go for the Rena Filstar xp3. It's the biggest they make I think, even though supposedly there's an xp4. It is much cheaper than the Fluval and is just a great no-frills canister filter rated to filter up to 175 gallons.

Using this and the one you have you'll have great filtration and a problem free tank.

Cichild Filtration

21 posts • Page 1 of 3