Tank update and Suggestion Box

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Well firstly, since a picture is worth a thousand words, well, I figured a video must be worth more. Especially since my tetras are incapturable lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDB0zsWlErI

Comments are not only welcome and desired, but required, please. =D

At the foreground is micro sword and corkscrew val, both are established in the substrate (regrettably) and growing in spurts at >1 wpg. Can I trim the msword on a regular basis...like a lawn? I like the look of it but it gets much higher than I was wishing for. I wanted between 1.5-2" high. Would this kill it?
Secondly the corkscrew...I'm sure the two bunches would look better bunched on one side, probably the side opposite the Amazon sword (which has babies! yay!) But I'm scared I'll annihilate it trying to move it again. Of all the plants in my tank the Val is the slowest growing and looked the worst before it became established.
Lastly how sensitive are Amazon Swords to trimming? Can I remove some very old growth which has been dormant for some time, but is still green and lively?

Thanks in advance. =D

Poetic_irony3872

by Poetic_irony3872

amazons can be trimmed back, but not too much, if you have old growth that is green and lively then i would leave it, the corkscrew can be moved, what i would do and what i do when i move plants around in my tank is to use a cereal bowl and scoop the entire root ball up with the plant and substrate and transplant it into a newly dug hole where i want it to be, this causes less disturbance with the root systems, and tends not to shock the plants, it's a tedious process but well worth it when moving plants, as far as the micro sword i am not sure cutting it like a lawn is a good thing, if you had higher powered light it would stay shorter, but other than that i am not sure, i am don't proclaim to be an expert when it comes to micros or other plants but it just seems that this would harm the plant more than it would do any good.
hope this helps,
Brandon

snowboss

by snowboss

well i know absolutely nothing about planted fresh water tanks...so I'll just say ........Beautiful set up man...... I like that "ball" looking thin on the right side of the tank......was that a shimp swimmin by also? very cool......Boss

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

That's a great tip Pi, hadn't thought of just preserving the integrity of the roots by moving it all at the same time. Hopefully it'll work without all falling apart, this'll be difficult and tedious with flourite. lol I guess I'm really in need of some higher wpg to get the msword to do what I want it to. Although my biggest problem is finding something over 15 watts to fit in a 19" wide space. -.-
Thanks a lot boss. :) That ball is called a moss or "marimo" ball, which is actually non-invasive algae that's supposed to outcompete algae in the tank. One of the coolest $6 investments I've made in this hobby, even if other kinds of algae still run rampant..lol :) And yeah, sorry for the quality of video there's actually about 6 shrimp in there. My tank looks so bare. lol so many places for fish and stuff to hide.
Anyone have experience establishing ''baby'' amazon swords? They're visible at the very top of my tank in the vid, sending out roots now. I just wanna know when I can detatch them and where I should be detatching them from. Thanks again.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

if you look at my tank picture you will see that there are two mother amazon swords with about five or six shoots a piece coming up to the top of the tank i like to wait until the root systems have at least ten to twelve good long roots along with several other short roots before i detach them at this point the rooting system on the babies should be just about breaking the baby off of the mothers shoot, so they are easy to remove just grab the baby where the roots connect to the plant and twist slightly (may need a bit of twisting) but they should come off with relative ease if not then they are not ready, be patient, many times i have had them just drop off and float to the top and then i plant them.
hope this helps,
Brandon

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

oh i almost forgot, one more thing i have done in the past, take the shoot once it has several good babies on it and bend it down and cover it with substrate then make sure the roots of the babies are entirely covered, this makes a neat trailing effect on the bottom of the tank.
Brandon

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Good tips, and thanks again Pi. =D
I'm almost beginning to wish my amazon hadn't sent out more shoots. lol It's nice to know the plant is doing well enough to reproduce, but I really don't have another place in this tank for another amazon sword. I'm already looking for ways to limit the size of the mother plant. haha Guess I need to find someone local who wants some giant plants. They really are such nice looking and easy to grow plants.
I haven't attempted moving the corkscrew yet but will probably re-post another video after everything's said and done. I've been meaning to add some more sand to my tank as well to bring a little more brightness back to it. The flourite, even though just at the front really seemed to darken the mood even beyond the leeching tannic acid from my LOG. lol

7 posts