Manintaing tank temperature

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Sc0oB

by Sc0oB

hey im kinda of a new member, been reading on here for a long time but never registered. im kinda new to the whole fish thing. question my heater on my 33g tank has always been turned down as low as it can be but it seems like the water temp just keeps climbing. so i just unplug it and plug it back in after its dropped my tank not in direct sunlight whats the dilly? is this normal its a 150w heater that came with the tank.

Serial324556

by Serial324556

The heater is probably broken. If you turn it on not in water, or turn it on as soon as you put it in water without it "acclimating" to the temperature of the water first it can damage it.
The heater i have now in my 29 gallon is just like that but i haven't had the money to get a new one.
It's turned down all the way yet my tank is about 80 degrees all the time. It doesn't turn off until 80 so I can't go below that.

You might want to get a new one and let it sit in your fish tank for about 30 minutes before plugging it in. Then let it sit, most now come set up so they are already set on 78 i'm pretty sure. And be sure not to turn the temp dial more than a couple clicks at a time this can also damage a heater.

Sc0oB

by Sc0oB

thanks for the reply,that could be what happend but with a working heater should you atleast have to have it clicked up a couple of notches to keep it a 80? i just want to know this before i buy a new one incase its not broken and im just a schmuck.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i personally keep my heater clicked at 72 to keep a stable temp of 78 in the tank. Also, how far away is the thermometer from the heater, and is it inside the tank or the kind that stick to the glass?

Sc0oB

by Sc0oB

my thermometer is on the oposit side of the tank sucktioned cupped to the inside. and my heater dial is just blank doesnt show any degrees its touch on go BS with it turrned as low as it goes the pilot light comes on every minute or so and then goes off after like 10 seconds. if i buy a new one what wattage do i need for my 33gallon?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

around 130 watts

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i use a marineland neptune 100w for my 20 gallon

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I'm glad I found this thread today as I noticed for the first time since purchasing my new heater a few months ago, due to the warming temperature and springy weather outdoors my tank climbed to 82F from a steady 78 for several months. The heater has been off (no red light indicating its turned on) all afternoon but despite this my tank temp climbed to 82 even though the temp inside the room is roughly 77.
The tank cover I have forms a pretty tight seal everywhere except right around the filter, so I figured opening the front might allow some more air to pass over the water and allow the temp to go down a bit...but it's holding steady at 80-82.
Is it safe to use a few cubes of ice to cool the water a bit in a 16gal? given that a couple of ice cubes in a glass doesn't really cool things down to much I figured 16 gallons might need a lot more to move the temp a degree or two over a period of an hour. Would chlorine/chloramines esacpe from ice cubes before they actually become ice in the freezer, or would they just be contained within the ice and released as it thaws? Any thoughts on this?
In the summer this won't really pose a problem as I do have central AC, but I can't really suck it up and turn it on for one warm day in the springtime, just seems like a total waste of money..

Sc0oB

by Sc0oB

yeah the heater was broken, thanks for the help guys iv learned allot from this forum :D

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

awesome

17 posts • Page 1 of 2