New tank setup and cycle

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zankren

New tank setup and cycle

by Zankren

specs for new tank:
55 gallon, 130 watt lighting, 295 gph filter (I know... I'd like it a little higher)

eventually we plan to have in the tank:
1 betta, 1 SAE, 5-7 otos, 5-7 cherry shrimp, 7 ghost glass cats, shoal of tetras (15ish), 2-3 african dwarf frogs, and Heavily Planted

We are starting this tank from scratch and I'm looking for ideas on cycling it. I was planning on using eco-complete substrate (apparently contains bacertia for faster cycling) and planting a red wendii, then starting a fishless cycle. After about two weeks, we'd add another plant (micro sword probably), a piece of driftwood, and a betta (yes only one fish for a 55 gallon tank - for a short while). Then probably every week or two we'll add either new fish or plants or both. That's the plan at this point. I didn't really have a specific question was more just wanting to share my plans and accept feedback. It seems like a solid plan to me but there are I'm sure much more knowledgeable people out there. Any tips/tricks/suggestions welcomed.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

let us know how it goes, sounds solid to me

elscion111

by elscion111

sounds good :)

elscion111

by elscion111

Are u gonna use a aqua clear power head??

Zankren

by Zankren

hadn't planned on it. Think I should? we are just planning to have a regular HOB filter. Since I will be very specific on which gravel to use we probably won't be adding much fertilizer (maybe a little liquid directly into the gravel once in a while). I probably won't do any CO2 injections either. We will likely add Flourish Excel to add some supplemental carbon to the plants though.

New tank setup and cycle

5 posts