Would a fish store buy?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

kingofsixstrings

Would a fish store buy?

by kingofsixstrings

My dad accidentally bought two frontosa's instead of tilapias. Do you think and fish/aquarium store would buy or trade one of them with me. Like they take it for $10 when its too big too keep in my take. Or give them it and they give me a cheaper fish in return?

miami754

by miami754

It all depends on the store. I have had some say no way and I have had other pay me for a fish. Just bare in mind that they do not usually give you a good deal on how much money they give you. I have also heard of stores offering store credit. I would just call some fish stores up and ask.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Do you want to raise tilapia? If so you'll want a male and a female and that's it I think. They will kill each other if not matched right. I don't know what a Frontosia is, but stores in my area will take a big fish back if they have a big enough tank but will give nothing in return for it. It costs $ to feed and people don't often buy very large fish.

miami754

by miami754

Frontosas are a pretty popular cichlid so you should have an easier time than say if you were selling guppies. Peter is right though - if you wait until they are too big, many fish stores will not want to house them. I would sell them pretty soon if you do not want them.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Just returned my 14 inch Silver Arowana and they put it up for $100.00 and gave me nothing for it. I'm happy to not have a grumpy, mean, scary looking fish freaking out my other community fish in my 100 gallon.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

Ok here is a the thing, frontosa are a wonderful fish and are in the talapia family, they are the most docile of the larger breeds of cichlids, most pet stores will give you store credit for them am guessing your father spent roughly 20 bucks or more for each of the young frontosa, and you can keep several of them in the tank at the same time, they are extremely beautiful fish and when they get huge they are quite the show stoppers, they do get around 12 inches or bigger. find a local pet store and do not go to the larger big box stores as they wont know what you are talking about... a lfs that's family run is more likely to take the fish and give you some sort of a deal, there is a store i go to locally called neptunes garden that will take in fish on consignment and and then will give you 25% of the purchase in store credit.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

thats how my lfs does it too

kingofsixstrings

by kingofsixstrings

Well the two frontosa's are babies. So.....yea there only like 1 1/2 - 2 inches.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

My tilapia are very friendly with other fish, they just get nasty with their own kind unless you have a mating pair. I'm gona look up Frontosia and see what they're like.

FishDoc4598

by FishDoc4598

if you have a good relationship with the store...then maybe. The owner of the local fish store knows my tank and I real well, so he'll let me bring back a fish. But if it's a petsmart or big store like that then probably not. They suck anyways. BTW, you can't go wrong with frontosas. Great fish.

Would a fish store buy?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2