Plants

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

It seems like every site has different information, but it seems the Black Neon Tetra can handle a varied pH provided it has become accustomed to it. My local city water pH is 8.0 or more, so that's what they're in in the store. My pH is around 7.6. The Harlequin Rasbora has also caught my eye, maybe I should go that route. It's tough to know what to choose.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm going to buy some cardinal or neon teras, maybe 30 little ones after the approx135 tilapia and mousquito fish fry grow up and I remove them. The M fish only get about 1.5-2 inches long but the tilapia will get over a foot. I like to watch fish school and right now and the tilapia are about about 3/4 inch long each, but they stick together and the mosquito fish keep to themselves too. I figured I'd enjoy these babies till they grow up and the plants fill in nicely, and then they will become gar food.
Then I'll get about 30-40 tetras and some small loaches. I'm not sure what a Harliquin Rasbora is.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

harlequin rasboras are very neat looking tetra they have a harp shaped marking on their midsection and the outline of this is usually a neon gold color and the inner part of the harp shape is black, they are really neat and love to school together as any typical small tetra. they will go fine with most any other tetra, except the larger more agressive variety such as congo tetra...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I recently purchased an ''upgrade'' florescent bulb for my 5gallon. It came equipped with a 15w incandescent, and I now have a 10w flourescent equal to about 50-60w incandescent light. Its a coralife 50/50 10,000k/actinic bulb. I've had java moss, java fern, and anubias in it for several months now, with no noticeable difference in growth since the lighting upgrade, however algae seems to be really taking off which keeps my oto really busy. lol
Soon (next couple of weeks) I'll be testing this setup by adding Dwarf Baby Tears as a foreground plant. As far as I know they're a HIGH light plant. I'll be happy to post my results. 2 wpg by the lighting ''standards'' is inadequate, but we'll see.
The Amazon Sword in my 16gal has almost doubled in size, and started a runner with a new plant in about a months time @ >1wpg

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'd like to know how Dwarf Baby tears grows without added co2. I just bought some Microsword a few days ago and it still seems very green, though it's too soon to know if it'll do well, and I'll get some Dwarf Hair Grass today. I'm using a double 65 watt VHO florescent and no co2 which is kind oflike what you're doing. I'm used to growing Java Moss, Java Fern, and Anubias like you so Lets hope we can also do the high light plants. Nobobo can at www.nobobo.com so we should be able to as well!

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Nobobo sold his soul to the non-co2 planted tank gods... looooong time ago.

Plants

16 posts • Page 2 of 2