Sugestions for fun little tank

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I have this little fun 2.5 gallon tank. I would like to use it somehow. What would you consider putting in it? No Bettas, I already have two...one in a Hex 5 and one in a 6.6 gallon, happy fish. Also, no Guppies. I have 6 in a community tank elsewhere. I'd like something fun and unique, or just fun will do. Ideas? Maybe even go dry and get a lizard? I lean toward fish though....

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That's pretty small. Do you have a filter for it? I'd say it's too small to be kind for a lizard, and I can't think of anything besides Betta's it would be fair to keep in a tank that size. Maybe a snail? You could use it as an upside down tank in one of your others. You need a powerhead with air entrainment venturi and your fish can swim from the lower right side up larger tank up into the smaller upside down tank. It's pretty cool. You just have to suspend the USD tank so the open "bottom" edges are under the water level of the right side up tank, run the venturi air line from a powerhead up into the USD tank to the inside top, and it will suck the air out causing the water to rise up and fill the smaller tank. There is a youtube video of it if you want to see it.
Last edited by Peterkarig3210 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I should have also mentioned that there is no filter. The small heater is only capable of maintaining 74 degrees. Right now I use it to briefly hold new fish before transferring them to my big (real) tank, but that's also because I've bought nothing but very small hardy fish thus far. Soon my big tank will be full and I'll have no use for this little tank, except as maybe a hospital for small, hardy fish (If one can be hardy and sick simultaneously). Challenge, huh? Maybe it just isn't useful for anything else.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Not sure if this is what you had in mind or if you had anything in mind, but its pretty sick. I found it looking for Peters afformentioned USD tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbjKsolAPZk

Certainly quite one-of-a-kind.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

what a about a nano.........mini puffer tank.....i saw a 1 gallon PICO tank at an LFS once with a little tiny nano filter. . . . . . . . . sand substrate and a couple little live plants {i'm not familure with fresh water plants, they looked like little bushes} all in all it was a cool littel tank, had about 6 "tadpole" size puffers in it, Boss

janus

by janus

What about couple of shrimps?
Java moss is a great plant for a nano.

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii27 ... 25nano.jpg

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Anyone have experience with African Dwarf Frogs in this type of environment?

7 posts