[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Techniques for algae removal - RateMyFishTank.com

Techniques for algae removal

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

reefer171

by reefer171

Are there any tried and true ways to remove algae (specifically from rock) that you guys have done?

kate_kuhli

Re: Techniques for algae removal

by kate_kuhli

My favorite method for the glass is a handheld algae pad. Be careful not to scrape the glass though. The pad itself shouldn't if it's a good one but you could for instance get pieces of the aquarium substrate trapped in the fibers of the pad which would then scratch the glass. So keep an eye on that, especially if you have an acrylic tank. The downside to acrylic is how easily it scratches!

For rocks, would you be cleaning them inside of the tank or taking them out to give them a clean?

reefer171

by reefer171

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

Well if I were washing algae coated rocks OUT of the tank I'd use a bleach solution to soak them in first as bleach is excellent for that sort of thing and then I would barely have to scrub the rest of the algae off with a sponge. Saves a lot of time and effort, using bleach. I'm a bit paranoid though so I add some extra water conditioner to the tank when I put them back in, just in case there's still bleach residue even though I obviously rinse them very, very well!

If you're not removing them from the tank I don't think there's much choice but to use a sponge/pad/toothbrush and just scrub off any algae you can reach. It's kinda difficult this way, depending on your tank depth and how you have the rocks arranged but if you don't want to mess up the formation of the rocks then it's worth a bit more effort. Plus big rocks are a pain in of themselves to carefully remove from the tank.

4 posts