Variation in algae wafers

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

fish123

by fish123

Is there much difference in the various brands of algae wafers? As in, should you go for one of the high end brands like Hikari or are the cheaper brands okay if the wafers don't make up the bulk of a pleco's diet?

lumi

Re: Variation in algae wafers

by lumi

Hmm that's a good question, I'm not really sure!

I have my algae wafers right here on my desk so I've just taken a look and the brand is Tetra, they're called PlecoWafers. I don't know how good of a brand Tetra is but I've never had any issues, malnutrition, etc from using them.

kate_kuhli

Re: Variation in algae wafers

by kate_kuhli

I thought I'd let you know, since I've recently discovered spirulina, that you can just buy pure spirulina online (ebay, etc) for a lot cheaper than Hikari wafers and such. Or possibly even cheaper than the cheap algae wafer brands (haven't exactly priced it all yet but it seems really cheap in bulk).

It's not the same thing of course but it's probably healthier for the fish and they get more algae that way than they would from the wafers.

I haven't looked into it yet but I bet you could even make your own wafers yourself from spirulina if you prefer feeding actual wafers but want the better ingredients.

3 posts